New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world.
The Communications Section at UN Women Headquarters in New York seeks to hire the services of a Media Consultant to give continuation to the implementation of media outreach efforts on gender equality and women's empowerment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Senior Communications and Media Specialist, the Media Consultant will be responsible for the following:
Provide regular media- specific outreach support to continue the mobilization of the high-profile and successful Step it Up Media Compact which from the time of Beijing+20 has now evolved into the Step it Up for Gender Equality Media Compact ( with focus on the Sustainable Development Goals). Since its launch during CSW 2016 has grown to nearly 70 partners, and continues to expand, with new partners coming on board.
- Expand media interest in the Step it Up for Gender Equality Media Compact.
- Provide customized and timely information about UN Women to media partners of Step it Up for Gender Equality.
- Provide updates to Media Compact partners on UN Women’s editorial packages, especially for key moments during the year, including Sustainable Development Goals initiatives during the GA, CSW, International Women’s Day and Orange Days
- Monitor and report on Media Compact coverage of UN Women initiatives and other relevant topics.
- Roll out capacity building media trainings for COs and Ros, through scheduling, and assisting with presentations
Leverage the media outreach plans, consolidating and integrating Step it Up for Gender Equality Media Compact efforts, and ensure coherence across other media events and outreach for the organization.
- Media outreach plan leveraging Step it Up for Gender Equality Media Compact partners for major conferences and upcoming International Days, including UNPFII, International Days such as International Day of Families, World Humanitarian Day, World Environment Day, Indigenous Day, Youth Day, etc.Assist in the trainings on the Step it Up for Gender Equality Media Compact with field communications colleagues to ensure implementation at regional, multi-country and country offices
- Implement media activities in line with the media outreach plans and communicationsstrategies of the Section.
- Support the RFQ for the creation of a gender-sensitive media training curriculum and its usage with Media Compact partners
Support the capacity building and expansion of a community of practice on media strategies for the organization.
- Support the roll out of the Media Relations 101 Trainings for Regional and Country Offices
- Ensure Media Trainings on Cision, and follow up with field colleagues
- Provide support to the COs and ROS, through capacity building trainings developed in house on a regular basis.
Monitor organizational media engagement around the outreach, and showcase select media pick-up and mobilization, through media reports and analysis, using Cision PR regularly
- Updated reports at least once per month, and more during key events
- Research new cutting edge media monitoring services and update UN Women’s Media Team to ensure the organization is using the best and most cost-effective solutions.
- Ensure alignment in new format for reporting media clippings, based on guidance of new Chief of Communications and Advocacy
Use analytics to measure media engagement and adapt media outreach plans accordingly. Expand UN Women's analytics tools and create monthly reports to enable organizational learnings.
- Create at least one analytics report per month, and circulate to media team; followed by discussions.
Support media outreach and other activities undertaken by the Media Unit, as and when needed during the consultancy.
- Familiarity with media database and monitoring tools, such as Cision PR
- Proficient in using new technologies and web-based platforms
- Familiar with women's rights issues
- Familiar with UN Women and its communications strategies
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's Degree in Communications, Journalism, International Affairs, or similar
- 2 years of experience in the strategic use of news media and monitoring
- Fluent in English; fluent in Spanish and/or French is a plus
- Proven experience in media relations, communications, journalistic writing and editing
- Self-starter; organized; able to multitask and balance multiple responsibilities