Project Coordinator Leadership Development WILS
UNDP works in more than 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. Anchored in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and committed to the principles of universality, equality and leaving no one behind, UNDP’s vision under its Strategic Plan, 2018-2021 is to help countries achieve sustainable development by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shocks, in order to safeguard development gains.
The ‘Women in Leadership in Samoa’ (WILS) Project is a joint UNDP and UN Women led project that contributes to ongoing efforts aimed at improving gender equality in Samoa. It aims to strengthen women’s leadership targeting women in the community, younger (emerging) women, and potential candidates for the upcoming elections. Through partnerships, networks, advocacy, outreach, civic awareness and capacity building initiatives, the Project hopes for an increased civic awareness of the need for inclusive and effective women’s participation and representation. Women should be able to learn new skills, have more confidence and feel motivated to exercise leadership in their communities and willing to engage with gender equality and development issues. Further Parliamentarians will be encouraged to operationalize the Sustainable Development Agenda in Samoa, noting that without strengthening gender equality the SDGs cannot be achieved. The Project will partner with existing regional programs for Parliamentarians and women’s participation. Finally, the Project will be a regional and national source of knowledge through continued research and analysis, and with South-South exchanges for experiences and lessons sharing with counterparts and other actors.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Coordinator is responsible for leading and coordinating the design/formulation and implementation of the Project’s leadership development component and associated activity result areas. This component consists of enhancing leadership capacity of women in their communities and promoting political inclusivity and supporting women’s political participation through a focus on development. S/he also will provide support to program implementation, coordination of all Project work and activities, as well as contributing to Project monitoring and evaluation and administrative functions when required.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Lead the implementation and coordination of the UNDP’s component of the WILS Project:
- Lead the implementation of the project’s activities in accordance with the multi-year and annual work plan and towards achieving the project outcomes, outputs and performance indicators;
- Ensure timely and efficient implementation of the project’s activities in accordance with the work plan to ensure that the project outcomes and outputs are aligned with Project document;
- Provide guidance and support to UNDP implementing partners and responsible parties, carrying specific activities of the project;
- Support project related events, including trainings and workshops organized by project partners and support as required to deliver project activities;
- Monitor project performance and track progress to assess impact and compliance with sustainable development goals and results-based performance indicators and to help assess future programme orientation;
- Closely monitor the delivery status and prepare periodic written progress updates, both narrative and financial in relation to the agreed work plan and implementation strategy.
2. Formulation and implementation of the WILS Project’s key initiatives and Activity Result Areas under the UNDP’s outputs:
- In consultation with Project team and partners, develop concept notes on all UNDP’s key activity result areas;
- Conduct research and situational analyses for the design and implementation of key activity result areas;
- Liaise with counterparts, implementing partners, consultants, contractors and others on the formulation/design and implementation of the Project activities under the UNDP component;
- Work with counterparts, implementing partners, consultants and others to facilitate the timely and effective implementation of the Project activities under the UNDP component;
- Organise workshops, meetings, consultations, dialogues, briefing sessions, and other events relating to the UNDP component;
- Facilitate partnerships, networks and coalitions as to ensure a better coordinated approach to the implementation of the UNDP deliveries;
- Provide support to the Project Manager in reshaping the strategic direction of the Project and required revisions of the Project’s multi-year work plan, annual work plan, monitoring and evaluation, risk management and other related areas.
3. Coordination of and supporting the WILS Project’s overall deliveries, management, administration, and monitoring and evaluation:
- Provide inputs on overall Project outputs and activities’ formulation and implementation to ensure coherence, congruence and best value;
- Contribute to the research, communications and knowledge building under the UNDP component and facilitating connection and coordination with those under the UNW component;
- Contribute to the preparation and dissemination of the Project’s reports and knowledge products;
- Work with the Project team to ensure effective and efficient conduct of the M&E requirements of the Project;
- Ensure good record keepings of all the information on the UNDP component;
- Provide administrative support for the Project as required to ensure effective and efficient implementation of the Project activities.
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Respect for Diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- In-depth knowledge of development issues such as leadership development, gender equality, community development;
- Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Strong knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports in order to inform management and strategic decision-making;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Good conflict resolution skills; and
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising and develop strategies.
Required Skills and Experience
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in the Social Science fields such as Political Science, Management, Public Policy, Public Administration Economics, Social Work or any other relevant field;
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in the Social Science fields as in above.
- At least a minimum of two (2) years (with Master’s degree), or minimum of four (4) years (Bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in implementing development programs and projects;
- Demonstrated working experiences in working with leadership development, community development, organizational development and network/coalition building;
- Demonstrated working experiences in working and engaging with diverse implementing partners and building relationships;
- Demonstrated working experiences in providing administrative support functions in a project-based working environment;
- Good knowledge of accounting systems, information management and recording keeping;
- Excellent leadership, networking, stakeholder management and problem solving skills;
- Excellent report writing and advanced knowledge of computer office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
- Fluent in English and Samoan both written and verbal.
- Only Samoan nationals are eligible to apply;
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.