the next year it is anticipated that this position will shift to mosul as the field base
Produce communication and fundraising resources and pursue media opportunities and exposure. Given the high importance of private, in addition to institutional, funding, the role is essential in ensuring that Medair raises the financial support and awareness necessary to achieve its mission. Work in close contact with the Global Support Office (GSO) and its Affiliates and advise the field teams in dealing with external communication. Monitor visibility in the field and support the internal communications of the programme.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din. Projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and WASH. The Iraq programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Dohuk, Iraq. Within the next year it is anticipated that this position will shift to Mosul as the field base.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Communications & Fundraising Resources
- Travel frequently to field projects to pro-actively and re-actively obtain and pitch resources. Gather and prepare communication materials for input into the document management software and online photo and video databases (photos, video footage, stories, quotes, programme updates, reports, interviews).
- Gather and prepare fundraising materials (project overviews and proposals, reports, gift handles, direct marketing resources (Medair news articles, web articles, campaign articles, thank you videos).
- Coordinate the collection of materials and data needed for the production of Medair’s Annual Report.
- Manage swift approval at field level of communications and fundraising material before publication.
- Prepare, facilitate and accompany field visits of high profile visitors, photographers, journalists, or media crews. When applicable, draft terms of reference and contracts according to guidelines.
Media & Public Relations
- Regularly monitor local press and events to be aware of and get information about local emergencies, high level visits, surveys, reports, or any other topic that could be of interest to the media. In case of emergency situations, immediately inform GSO.
- Conduct media analysis so priority channels and audiences are defined.
- Regularly assess the security and access impact that media reports may have on the programme.
- Actively conceptualise, facilitate, and produce short content updates and creative, interactive features on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Support the GSO in maintaining relations with online social media users and supporters in answering supporters’ questions and comments or in communicating from a Medair field perspective.
- Monitor social media analytics and adapt approach as necessary.
Institutional & Private Donors Relations
- Proactively draft and review private funding proposals and reports to help private funding needs.
- Collaborate with Programme Funding Manager to provide communication and visibility component of proposal and reports.
- Support Project Funding Manager in managing institutional donor relations.
Brand & Co-Branding Coordination
- Advise on institutional donor marking visibility budgets, conditions, and requirements. Advise logistics staff on the correct design of field visibility items based on Medair and institutional donor guidelines.
- Design visibility artwork as required.
- Assist field leadership team in developing tools and structures to pro-actively support the team in improving internal communication within the programme, e.g. internal news, contributing to team meetings, prayer reports, etc.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and GSO prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary
- Professional qualification in communications / fundraising / public relations / media or marketing.
- Training or experience in multi-media production and editing.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in media, communications, marketing, or fundraising.
- Strong grasp of online social media tools and techniques.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Capable of managing a varied workload, and able to operate in complex but fascinating contexts.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to target different audiences and to tailor output accordingly.
- Highly organised with a creative flair and a good attention to detail.
- Dynamic, passionate, and creative communicator.