Renk (South Sudan) | South Sudan
Improve the overall health situation of the target population, implementing quality health services and contributing to the achievement of proposal objectives within the planned timescale and budget, for the areas of responsibility within the health project. Build the capacity of the local health team by providing appropriate and relevant supervision, training and technical support; contributing to monitoring and reporting on project progress; and liaising with community leaders and health officials as requested.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Water and Sanitation for refugees in Renk County, Upper Nile. Goal is to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable communities in South Sudan.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Renk, South Sudan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
March 2019. Full time, minimum 12 months contract.
Key Activity Areas
Health & Nutrition Management
- Be responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned health projects in line with the activity plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal.
- Conduct daily field trips to clinics and other health and nutrition facilities for support and supervision.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports.
- Assist the Project Manager to manage and oversee the assigned health team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals.
- Assist to facilitate regular team meetings with the assigned health team.
- Promote the health and security of the health team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Work with the relevant field managers to plan, construct and manage health budgets for the assigned health projects.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned health team, Medair in-country health managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders.
- Manage the correct and timely ordering (within budgetary constraints) of all necessary medicines, supplies and equipment for the assigned health facilities and activities.
- Implement, as far as is possible within operational constraints, relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor).
- Certificate / diploma in Public Health or Tropical Medicine desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years post-qualification nursing / medical professional experience.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols desirable.
- Competent with statistical database such as EPI Info, SPSS or STATA desirable.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks.
- Willingness to support others and to share workload.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.
- Passionate about serving the poor.
- Organization: Medair
- Location: Renk (South Sudan) | South Sudan
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: