Kasai (Japan) | Democratic Republic of Congo
The NFI (Non-Food Items) Manager will play an important role in managing Medair’s NFI programming in Kasai with supervising shelter assessments, distributions and related processes.
Medair has been operating multisector projects in Kamonia Territory, Kasai Province, since April 2017 to reduce morbidity and mortality to populations impacted by conflicts. Between the 4th October – 15th November, 315,247 people arrived in Kasai province from Angola with limited aid. Medair is in the process of launching a project (WASH/NFI/Infrastructure rehabilitation) to improve the living conditions of returnee populations in Kasai. WASH/INF activities will ensure targeted vulnerable communities have access to drinking water from protected water sources. Medair will provide basic sanitation and hygiene services in health centres. Under NFIs, Medair will support targeted groups with basic household supplies.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Kasai, Democratic Republic of Congo.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 2 months with possible extension and / or change of work location.
Key Activity Areas
- Identify the NFI needs for affected populations through assessments.
- Lead and facilitate appropriate verification and registration processes for affected populations.
- Lead and facilitate appropriate distributions to meet identified NFI and emergency shelter needs for affected populations.
- Coordinate with NFI partners in field locations.
- Input into the development and updating of Medair and cluster standards for assessment, verification and distribution.
- Advise on the suitability of NFI and emergency shelter items used.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all transactions, that records are kept in an orderly fashion and that the filing system is in line with Medair and donor requirements.
- Management of daily expenses used for the project.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of base-related activities and requirements.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Responsible to act as team leader on a site when requested – with authority over other Medair staff in the field site.
- Act as the team leader for inter-agency teams on site when requested.
- Assist in the hiring and supervision of casual labour assisting in NFI activities or logistics support.
- Responsible for logistics arrangements (staff / cargo movements) related to specific field sites.
- Share security information with your team and the ERT NFI project manager and the team leader.
- Ensure assessments, verification, registration and distribution processes are done in line with cluster standards.
- Ensure that all reporting and administration is done on time and according to the relevant guidelines and is reported accurately.
- Ensure that NFI and emergency shelter is reaching emergency affected populations and not being distributed indiscriminately.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject such as construction / engineering / architecture.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- Relevant professional experience in similar posting (previous NFI or shelter work, knowledge of non-food item distribution and assessments).
- Medair experience preferred.
- Ability to stand in front of large groups confidently and interact with local leaders, diverse teams.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Able to build trust and enforce procedures.
- Problem solving ability, strong administrative skills, good numerical and report writing skills.
- Attention to detail, able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Team-player with good communication and inter-personal skills.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.
- Organization: Medair
- Location: Kasai (Japan) | Democratic Republic of Congo
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Managerial positions
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Food Security, Livestock and Livelihoods
- Closing Date: