Project Coordinator (Nili)
a remote and isolated location and working and living conditions may be very different from previous experiences
Project Coordinator (Nili)
Manage the implementation and coordination of the field projects in a specific province. Lead the team, providing strategic direction and managing security. Represent Medair at relevant meetings with contractors, local authorities, NGOs and other stakeholders.
Medair Afghanistan is a complex and dynamic country programme due to instability related to politics and insecurity. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996, and is currently implementing multi-sectoral projects in nutrition, WASH and food security (including cash transfer programing) in vulnerable communities in the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan. The Projects Coordinator will oversee all of Medair’s projects and staff in one province of the Central Highlands, which are currently focussed on nutrition, WASH and cash programming.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Nili, Daikundi Province, Afghanistan.
This is a field-based position in a remote and isolated location and working and living conditions may be very different from previous experiences.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
April 2019. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Monitor and review the security status on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure all staff members working in the region and all visitors receive appropriate briefings and on-going training in security-related topics.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for the area are updated and implemented.
- Train relevant project staff in security planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
- Support relevant Project Managers in day-to-day decision making as requested.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted and reports made to the relevant people.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects.
- Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Represent Medair at meetings in the region and through relationships with external partners (e.g. community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs) in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs).
- Seek out and actively participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects, in collaboration with the relevant Project Managers and Sector Advisers and in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Working with the relevant Project Managers, ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe.
- Monitor the spending of the designated projects to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Manage the base budget and expenditure.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of local staff.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Provide oversight and line-manage the Project Managers and Support staff based in Nili.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- 1 year overseas work experience with an agency engaged in humanitarian aid.
- Experience of security management in a previous role.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Ability to work independently and willingness to live and work in remote locations.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of humanitarian programmes.
- Problem solving ability, excellent communicator, strong organisational and time management skills.
- Good numerical and report writing skills. Able to build trust and enforce procedures.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.