a remote and isolated location and working and living conditions may be very different from previous experiences
Plan, develop and evaluate the assigned cash transfer projects and disaster risk reduction activities. This involves assessing beneficiary needs for cash and livelihood, supporting and designing future projects and proposals, and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget, and adherence to donor and internal Medair standards. Manage and train project staff to meet quality standards in project delivery, encourage beneficiary participation, and liaise with relevant stakeholders. Anticipate, plan, and contribute to the development of new regional project proposals and reports.
Medair Afghanistan is a complex and dynamic country programme due to instability related to politics and insecurity. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996, and is currently implementing multi-sectoral projects in nutrition, WASH and food security (including cash transfer programing) in vulnerable communities in the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan. Natural Resource Management and Emergency Response activities are also undertaken as required. All projects contribute to the overall objective of increased resilience.
Workplace & Conditions
Field-based position in Nili, Daikundi Province, Afghanistan.
This is a field-based position in a remote and isolated location and working and living conditions may be very different from previous experiences.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
April 2019. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned projects, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local staff.
- Contribute to development of appropriate and effective strategies for disaster risk reduction and cash transfer programming including proactive planning for responsible exit.
- Monitor and supervise project activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using quantitative and qualitative data, and involving the project team (and where applicable local authorities) in analysis and taking appropriate action to ensure continued progress.
- Ensure integration of project sectors in terms of implementation, results and reporting.
- Line-manage the project staff, including day-to-day management, development, training and appraisals.
- Provide coaching and supervision to staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for project activities with a focus on effective monitoring, reporting, project cycle and budget management. Ensure staff receive adequate technical supervision from relevant advisors.
- Assess the training needs of project staff and ensure that appropriate technical training is conducted.
- Manage the projects budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication & Coordination
- Facilitate meetings to assist information sharing between project and support staff, ensuring staff members are aware of project objectives and work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings, Medair internal trainings, and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the project staff on relevant issues.
- In consultation with the Logistics team, develop the procurement plan and ensure purchase requests are submitted in a timely manner to ensure project activities are delivered according to the work plan.
- Ensure project activities are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a relevant field.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- 1 year experience working overseas, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Experience working in an insecure environment desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of relevant sector principles and management.
- Ability to work independently and willingness to live and work in remote locations.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff; aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building; team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- Experience in project cycle and budget management.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.