National Project Support Analyst
Banjul (Gambia the)
Background Information - Job-specific
Whether it’s fighting Ebola by securing works contracts for new isolation wards, procuring life-saving medical equipment for the most vulnerable or helping establish West Africa’s largest renewable energy micro-grids, the work you do at UNOPS is about building a future we all can believe in.
If you have experience leading teams, are excited to expand our sustainable project management initiatives, are great at facilitating technical teams to develop specifications, are always ready to get hands on with the work and can lead partners through best practice in communications, then this is your opportunity.
Things happen quickly at UNOPS and we are looking for enthusiastic team players who are ready to not only keep up but blaze a path forward. The sub-regional office based in Accra, Ghana is UNOPS newest and covers the Gambia, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. As a central resource for the United Nations and its member governments, UNOPS is a global organization that is focused on making a local difference with some of the world’s top services in Project Management, Infrastructure and Procurement.
What drives us is a passion to fight inequalities and to provide opportunities to those most vulnerable. Come help us build the foundations for communities to function and people to live with dignity and respect.
Under the overall oversight of the Head of Programmes, and reporting directly to the assigned Project Manager(s), the National Project Support Analyst will support the Project Manager(s) with duties and responsibilities covering the following disciplines:
- Project Implementation
- Financial and procurement management
- Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Coordination and liaison
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Operational and logistical support
- Support the Project Manager in ensuring UNOPS Policies and Procedures, Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR) are adhered to for efficient project implementation and progress;
- Monitor financials and advise the Project Manager accordingly;
- Track expenditure and take relevant action when required to revise budgets (realignment and amendment);
- Monitor and record best practices and innovative approaches within UNOPS FR&R; identify and show alternative options according to activity needs;
- In consultation with the relevant stakeholders, assist in preparing amendments of Agreements and Budget revisions when applicable;
- Facilitate information flows and overseeing change controls, risk registers and issue management; document and feedback learned and best practices;
- Supporting the project planning process;
- Supports the monitoring and management of work packages within the project as and when required;
- Assist the Project Manager in monitoring of the project quality indicators and undertaking monthly assurance tasks on behalf of the Project Manager
Financial and procurement management
- Maintain all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes;
- Ensure accurate data entry into UNOPS ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system;
- Monitor project budget and financial expenditure and all administrative procedures in line with the work-plan;
- Process direct payments and advance requests and prepare project budget revisions;
- Produce financial reports; including developing financial monitoring and reporting formats as per UNOPS requirements;
- Support the Project Manager by monitoring budgets, cash flow and reporting on expense obligations to ensure that deliverables are met;
- Alert the Project Manager or any financial shortfalls and over-expenditures;
- Propose budget revision and initiate corrective action when necessary;
- Coordinate vendor communications, meetings, and reports as necessary.
- Ensure conformity of project disbursement requests with procedures, work plans, and availability of resources for expenditure;
Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Provide substantive inputs to assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project reports and documents;
- Maintain records of project files and other supporting documents;
- Maintain the following records: Quality Register, Configuration Item Records and all other registers/logs delegated by the Project Manager;
- Support the Project Manager in maintaining the following:
- Project Document Archive,
- Procurement, HR and Finance files as required by Organizational Directive (OD) 12.
- Manage the compilation, consolidation and analysis of relevant data of the mission;
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project completion reports and ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
Coordination and Liaison
- Supports the monitoring and administration of contract management (HR, Service Contracts, rental agreements etc.) for Project operations;
- Proactively coordinate/liaise with support units on all administrative matters related to contract management;
- Liaise with the Programme Management Office (PMO) Team Members to complete project assurance related tasks.
Knowledge management and innovation
- Support the compilation of lessons learned as per defined reporting format;
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building;
- Contribute to expertise in tools and techniques.
Operational and Logistics Support
- Review input of financial information, expenditures etc. in oneUNOPS;
- Support development and maintenance of oneUNOPS based management information systems to ensure real time tracking and asset management under the project activities;
- Liaise with the Finance Unit to process and monitor all payment requests within the Project
- Assist the Project Manager in monitoring all HR requirements and related activities under the Project;
- Supports the preparation of Terms of Reference (ToR) for required inputs in the projects (staff, individual and institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods and services, organization of training, seminars, etc.), with expert and/or client support as required;
- Supports the organization of induction briefings to newly recruited staff and render support to consultants in the course of their assignment;
- Support and review submissions for Contracts, Purchase orders, Waivers and related documents prior to final approval;
- In accordance with UN and UNOPS Security Policies, manage travel for all personnel in the Project Team;
- Contribute to organizing project and stakeholder meetings as and when necessary, and maintain records of these meetings;
- Maintain records of project files and reports according to UNOPS document management guidelines;
- Supports the preparation of budget forecast and periodic financial reports as requested;
- Review weekly Activity reports and quarterly financial reports with respect to outputs based on work plans and budget forecasts;
- Liaise with finance and logistics/procurement units in tracking commitments and disbursements;
- Identify operational, administrative, financial and other bottlenecks that may impede project delivery; recommend solutions and take appropriate remedial action;
- Upon instruction of project manager, undertake field missions as required
- Establish and monitor an internal control system for all administrative actions;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Logistics, Emergency Management, International Relations, Economics, Accounting, and Finance or related field is a requirement.
- Applicants with a relevant Diploma Certificates with four (4) years of relevant working experience may also be considered.
- Applicants with a relevant Secondary School certification with six (6) years of relevant working experience may as well be considered.
- Prince 2 Foundation Certification, or similar certification will be an advantage.
- A minimum of two (2) years relevant and progressive professional experience, specifically in the field of Project Management and Operations Management with focus on monitoring, reporting, development and coordination;
- Experience in development projects, donors, and operations management is added advantage.
- Experience supporting stakeholder engagement and event organizing is an asset
- Knowledge of UN rules and procedures in Procurement, Finance, HR Management and administrative rules and regulations is an added advantage;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Knowledge of another UNOPS official language is an added advantage
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Attention to Detail
- Planning and organization skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Eager to learn and grow professionally
- Computer Literate with ICT acumen
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA)Contract level: LICA 8 (ICS 8)
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- This is a local position, therefore only Nationals of the duty station or applicants who are legally entitled to be employed in the duty station will be considered.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such check
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Banjul (Gambia the)
- Grade: LICA-8, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-12-21