Monitoring and Reporting Analyst
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The role of the UN Women ESARO in relation to UN Women’s presences within the region is to provide: strategic programme development and policy/technical advice; programme and operational oversight, support and quality assurance; monitoring and support in the formulation and implementation of high quality and relevant country programmes/projects and oversee the appraisal and approval of UN Women programmes in line with corporate strategies, policies and guidelines.
Reporting to the Monitoring and Reporting Specialist, the Monitoring and Reporting Analyst will provide support to the Regional Office (RO), Country Office (CO)/ Multi Country Office (MCO) colleagues in incorporating monitoring and reporting into programme formulation as well tracking against Strategic Plan targets and the reporting of results to internal and external audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide guidance and support to country offices and multi country offices in the incorporating monitoring and reporting into programme formulation:
- Support Country Offices and Multi Country Office in the development of monitoring indicators, monitoring calendars, and field monitoring plans and quality assurance processes;
- Support the inclusion of inputs from relevant evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations into programme formulation;
- Support the development of the annual work plan monitoring, reviews and reporting and entry of the RO budget into Atlas;
- Provide technical support to partners/CO/MCO in the development of Performance Monitoring Frameworks (PMFs), systems and plans, and Baseline Surveys;
- Support in ensuring quality assurance of programme documents, donor agreements and Programme Cooperation Agreements for CO/MCO through review of results frameworks in order to meet SMART criteria;
- Support CO/MCO on ensuring linkage of Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and corresponding Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (MER) Plans with the UN Women Strategic Plan.
Contribute substantively to the monitoring and tracking of results against country/ regional level targets and UN Women Strategic Plan:
- Support Programme Team in data collection, analysis and ensuring partner field visits are coordinated and standardized across programmes; Ensure the availability (including collecting and maintaining) of data for country, regional and global corporate reports, mid-term reviews, and final reporting;
- Monitor data from partners/countries on a quarterly basis and provide substantive inputs to regular management briefs to inform decision making;
- Monitor the spending of donor funds and other programme expenditures and disbursements;
- Support in drafting and monitoring the CO/MCO’s Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Research Plan.
Provide guidance and support to CO/ MCO in overseeing monitoring, tracking and reporting of results to internal (Senior Management) and external (Executive Board, Donors) audiences:
- Support the process of the CO/MCO meeting internal and external reporting requirements and deadlines, including annual reporting process;
- Support drafting and reviewing of donor and programme reports (both narrative and financial) in liaison with operations, based on contractual obligation and ensure use of relevant evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations are incorporated into programme reporting;
- Identify relevant evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations and input them into programme reporting;
- Support CO in the planning process, monitoring budgets and delivery rates at regional and national levels and identify unaligned resources for expedite correction by countries;
- Support in the monthly review of the RO budget and propose recommendations to the Senior Management; provide support to the coordination of the budget mid-year assessment.
Provide technical support to CO/MCO in donor reporting:
- Maintain donor contract management system for the region and ensure that correct data and documentation is accurately uploaded by country offices;
- Support in reviewing donor progress reports submitted by CO/MCO to ensure quality of results oriented narrative reports and provide feedback to improve quality and timeliness of reporting;
- Liaise with the Finance Section in Headquarters for the timely preparation and submission of Financial reports to donors;
- Track the spending of donor funds and prompt the programme staff about seeking no-cost extension, as necessary, and in close collaboration with the Monitoring & Reporting focal points.
Contribute to knowledge building and capacity building:
- Identify and disseminate good practices, lessons and knowledge, as identified through programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation activities;
- Contribute to the development of capacity development tools, including training materials and packages;
- Facilitate capacity building opportunities for staff and partners in the region/ country in the areas of Results Based Management (RBM), Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Promote the awareness and understanding of the shared responsibility of Monitoring & Reporting among all staff members through communication, training, learning and development activities.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality technical support to the programme team and partners in CO/ MCO’s in line with work plan;
- Quality and timely support development and review of systems for tracking/monitoring;
- Timely submission of quality and accurate reports;
- Quality support to Evaluation processes, including timely coordination of mission.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Good knowledge of programme formulation and implementation and Results Based Management;
- Good knowledge of monitoring and evaluation, evaluation design, data collection and analysis, and reporting;
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports;
- Good analytical and report writing skills;
- Knowledge of UN programme management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Political or Social Science, Economics, International Development Studies, Gender/Women's Studies is required.
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in monitoring and reporting of development projects/ programmes;
- Experience in the United Nations systems in an asset;
- Field experience is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
- Knowledge of French is an asset.