Consultant- Qualitative Researcher
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Consultant- Qualitative Researcher Background
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking an experienced Consultant – Qualitative Researcher to document the market system of the Orange Fleshed Sweetpotato (OFSP) as part of reports being prepared at the end of a three-year project.
As the Accelerated Value Chain Development Program (AVCD)- Sweetpotato value chain comes to an end, there is need to document in form of a technical paper the status of OFSP marketing following 3 years of project activities within a value chain approach. The aim of the value chain has been to move OFSP from a subsistence crop to a commercial crop. Project activities related to production concentrated in Western Kenya, while market related activities moved to the producing counties to towns such as Naivasha, Limuru and Nairobi. This consultancy will thus involve reviews of project documents, existing literature, key informants’ Interviews among other approaches of data collection.
• Review relevant recent documents to be provided by the project team. • Review project’s market related monitoring data for trends in market development during project implementation period.
• Hold key informant Interviews with key stakeholders within the market segment of the value chain.
progress made in developing a functional market system.
• Review farmer institutions and their role in OFSP Marketing. • Develop data collection tool (s), administer the tool (s), analyse the data and prepare a report.Selection Criteria
• PhD in any field that includes strong qualitative research • Significant and demonstrated field experience in documenting inter-linked aspects of a project.
• At least 5 years’ experience in a similar research work • Proficient in MS Office, especially in Excel;
• Fluent verbal and written communication skills in English and Kiswahili. Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background, and is a recent World Food Price Winner and awarded with the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.
• CIP is a member of CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are the conditions?
The position is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) consultancy, limited to Kenya nationals and permanent residents only.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the post is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.