IT Operations Associate, SC6, Cox's Bazar
Cox's Bazaar (Bangladesh)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of support staff.
To coordinate and guide Information Technology maintenance and support activities to enable the effective delivery of IT services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority, the Telecommunications/Information Technology Assistant will be responsible for the following duties (These duties are not all inclusive nor are all duties carried out by all Information Technology Assistants)::
- Prepare and maintain a comprehensive inventory of all computer, telecommunications equipment, I/O devices and software existent in the region, country and sub-offices. Perform maintenance and minor repairs on hardware equipment;
- Oversee, install and maintain effective HF/VHF, satellite, telephone voice and data communications infrastructure in support of connectivity to WFP operational locations
- Manage the operation and maintenance of the Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) systems to ensure that Network Operating Systems support data base, documents, resources and other data files
- Manage all equipment and applications associated with electronic mail, etc. for all offices in the area; Maintain all Operating System, commercial, business and anti-virus software, ensuring compliance with registrations and upgrades.
- Ensure timely installation and upgrading of LAN/WAN information systems (e.g., Resource Mobilization, Logistics Management, Purchasing, Financial Accounting, anti-virus and industry standard applications, etc.
- Receive, test, and install systems and telecommunications hardware. Maintain and analyse telecommunications data and statistics to be able to identify, recommend and implement cost saving measures.
- Provide accurate and timely radio, telephone, satellite communications data for updating country office and regional information databases
- Install security telecommunications infrastructure as defined in the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) in support of staff security
- Provide staff training on all hardware, software, files management/maintenance and LAN/WAN systems; carry out periodic computer skills surveys to determine end user knowledge of applications; and identity training requirements and propose cost effective measures to upgrade staff skills
- Manage and maintain the HF/VHF callsign and HF selcall system in coordination with ETS/UNDSS;
- Establish control systems to ensure that all telecommunications equipment is in proper repair and working order to maintain satisfactory communications between users;
- Integrate voice radio, satellite and telephone communication systems with various information systems/technologies as required;
- Identify and test new telecommunications software and hardware for improving and upgrading system performance and install any technology upgrades as required;
- Develop and recommend strategies to address specific telecommunications connectivity needs of the country office;
- Train staff in the use of telecommunications equipment/systems including ensuring good operations protocols, procedures and discipline;
- Identify appropriate standards to procure telecommunications equipment at the least cost and in the most expedient manner;
- Identify and resolve operational problems. Ability to communicate moderately complex matters clearly and concisely.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to perform detailed work, work of a confidential nature and/or to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
- Perform other related duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Diploma/Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications or Electrical Engineering or relevant. Having recognized certificates in Radio Communications, Information Technology, Telecommunication or other related electronic communication field are desired.
A minimum of 5 years experience with telecommunications installations and equipment demonstrating hands-on expertise with HF/VHF radio, PABX, VSAT, wireless, satellite, WAN and LAN technologies in a globally distributed telecommunications operation. Exposure to Windows server operating system, AD, Microsoft Office 365, LAN, WAN, WLAN technologies.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Governance, Strategy and Architecture||Demonstrates awareness of overall IT governance structure and system architecture development to support the process and assist in design of interaction between systems.|
|Change Implementation, Project management, Planning and Optimization||Has basic understanding of project management principles to provide basic estimates on timing, resource utilisation and costs to facilitate the project planning process.|
|Technical Expertise||Continuously updates one’s own knowledge about new technologies and product modifications; Is sought out for advice/expertise and recognized internally as an important technical reference.|
|Service Management||Monitors and supervises maintenance and installation work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence and takes proper actions to correct inconsistencies and improve overall quality and customer satisfaction. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved.|
|Client Management||Exhibits a detailed understanding of customers’ IT requests in order to effectively address and manage internal customers ‘needs. Identifies recurrent issues to propose long-term solutions.|
|Procurement and Contract Management||Able to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of alternative technologies and vendor service level agreements to consolidate options and assess suitability.|
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Knowledge and practical experience with the following technologies - Digital Communications Technology: Data communication services over WAN and LAN infrastructures; Networked multi-layer LAN and WAN switches, routers, bridges; VoIP and CISCO switches, routers and bridges and protocols used on them; TCP/IP networking; Telephone Technology: Medium to large capacity PABX systems; group switches, digitally enhanced cordless telephones, fibre optic systems, strong background in Ericsson range of PABXes including telephone management and billing systems; Radio Communications Technology: Experience with Codan HF and Motorola VHF systems and equipment; Satellite Technology: Small and large VSAT systems including portable satphones. Some familiarity with operations of commercial telecommunications systems and services such as PABX, radio, satellite etc. Experience in the use of Microsoft Office and related Microsoft software, including working knowledge of a second official UN language.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Type : Service Contract
Contract Duration : 12 months
Duty Station : Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Nationality : Bangladeshi only
Monthly Net Salary : BDT. 103,091
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
23 December 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.