Deputy Country Director
Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) has been working in Afghanistan since 1982 and is presently managing development programmes linked to five Strategic Objectives within Health, Education, Rural Livelihoods, Community Governance and Public Commitment, with a total annual budget of roughly USD 40 million. The total number of staff is around 6,000 of whom 15 are expatriates. SCAs office presence in Afghanistan consists of the Kabul Management Office (KMO) and five Regional Offices. In Sweden SCA has 20 staff working at the Stockholm Management Office (SMO) and around 4 000 members organized in local chapters across the country.
In the last decade, SCA has undertaken a change process moving from a primarily humanitarian service delivery approach towards more of a developmental role, putting increasing emphasis on capacity development, rights-based programming and outcome orientation. The mission of SCA is to empower individuals, communities and local organizations, primarily in rural areas and with particular focus on women, girls, boys and vulnerable groups such as people with disabilities, so that they may participate fully in society and influence their own development.
Operations in Afghanistan are led by the Country Director (CD), ensuring that policies, the strategic plan, annual work plans and budgets and donor obligations are implemented and adhered to. The CD also ensures that relations with authorities, partners, donors and other stakeholders are maintained, and that a healthy collaboration and internal communication is ensured within the organisation in Afghanistan as well as with the office in Stockholm. The CD line manages three Directors and four unit managers. SCA has recently established the position of Deputy Country in Afghanistan, with the role of supporting the CD and taking on delegated tasks and mandates.
Scope of Work
The Deputy Country Director is based at KMO and reports to the Country Director. S/he works closely with the CD and the senior management, including Finance Director, Administration Director and Programme Director. The position is part of the Country Director’s Advisory Group, as well as the Secretary General’s Advisory Group.
The role of the Deputy CD is largely framed by shared and delegated responsibilities of the CD and in her/his direct supervision. This entails supervision of some of the units directly under the CD, support to overall strategic programme development and coordination among department and units, external networking and contacts with donors, NGOs and government authorities. The Deputy CD is the acting CD in the absence of the CD.
A more detailed outline of responsibilities and tasks is elaborated and agreed upon once the Dep CD is in place.
- Academic degree, or equivalent, in relevant professional field such as Political Sciences, Development Studies, Social Sciences, International Relations or Management
- At least seven years of relevant work experience in managerial positions in the context of international development with NGOs, UN agencies and/or authorities.
- Sound leadership/management and interpersonal skills
- Good understanding of programme, financial and operational management processes
- A solid understanding of rights-based approach, results-based management and strategic planning and reporting
- Experience from international assignments in development countries
- Experience of building personal networks at a senior level, resulting in securing new opportunities for the organisation
- An interest and grasp of international development trends in the non-governmental sector
- Aptitude to promote an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect, partnership and gender equality
- Ability to work well in unstable security environments
- Excellent command of spoken and written English
- Fluency in Swedish or other Scandinavian language
- Experience of large-scale development programming
- Experience from Afghanistan or similar conflict/post-conflict environments
- Knowledge of Dari and/or Pashtu
- Contract period: 2 years with an initial 6 months probationary period
- Conditions: Non- family posting. SCA offers a competitive salary, free housing, insurances and other benefits.
- Organization: SCA - Swedish Committee for Afghanistan
- Location: Kabul (Afghanistan)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Managerial positions
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2019-01-20