Business Devlpmnt Specialist
The constitution RDTL provides a provision of special status to Oe-Cusse, stating that it shall be ‘governed by a special administrative policy and economic regime’ (Article 71, Clause 2) and a law on Oe-Cusse has recently been passed by the National Parliament.
UNDP has been providing Policy advice to the Special Economic Zone for Social Market Economy (ZEESM) Office since its establishment and has developed a program to support ZEESM conceive, establish and support governance and sustainable and innovative development structures and systems in Oe-Cusse. The framework for UNDP’s support to Oe-Cusse ZEESM is built around two components: (i) governance (ii) sustainable and innovative development. Thus, as part of the roll out process of ZEESM there is a need to formulate policies and provide high quality advice to support priority areas that have clear and strong forward linkages to the ZEESM. The proposed assistance is aligned with the priorities of the Fifth Constitutional Government as articulated under Timor-Leste Strategic Development Plan 2011-2030 to establish special zones of social market economy to transform the lives of the people of Oe-cusse with an integrated approach to sustainable, social and economic development.
In many more competitive economies, business incubation is one of the tools that have helped to create new entrepreneurial skills and new businesses. The incubation process that was developed has included services for on the spot diagnosis and treatment of business problems, dramatically lowering the usual early stage failure rate.
The overall strategic objective of the Oe-Cusse Business Incubator (OBI) is: To foster sustainable livelihoods in Oe-cusse through SME development and to build regional capacity to promote a business enabling environment.
THE OPERATIONAL PROCEDURE OF THE OE-ECUSE BUSINESS INCUBATORS
1. ENTREPRENEURSHIP CAMP (JUNE 2017)
- Public presentation of the OBI to invite all locals and SME to apply for the OBI support.
- After the general presentation, in groups, the local participants will be motivated and the OBI’s technicians will assess the needs, strengths and weaknesses of each idea or SME.
- Youth participation will be strongly promoted
2. BUSINESS IDAS COMPETITION
Entrepreneurs may apply to the OBI to participate in incubator projects. Once a project idea is accepted, the incubator manager, technicians and entrepreneur develop a proposal (Business plan + Investment Plan) that is submitted to the incubator fund.
The comity for incubator fund will analyze and select those business plans that can demonstrate sustainability, income generation, social value, among other selection criteria.
3. MONITORING AND MENTORING
UNDP is looking for an enthusiastic person for the position of Business Development Officer in Oe-Cusse. The person will work under the direction of the Secretary of Tourism (ZEESM), and the UNDP Project Manager and will work to support the Business Incubator implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Project Manager (PM), and the Secretary for the Community Tourism RAEOA&ZEESM, will execute and ensure specific activities for the implementation of the Oe-cusse Business Incubator development and related activities of ZEESM Project.
Develop Business Plan for investment for at least 4 local business:
- Initiate, create and develop long-term relationships with local businesses to foster their capacity for production and investment.
- Assess the needs, constraints, strengths and weaknesses of each idea or local business.
- Facilitate Business planning to identify and establish business development opportunities.
- Develop the Business Plans for investment of at least 4 local business.
- Support local business in the presentation of all documents for the “Competition of Ideas” stage.
- Identify training needs of local businesses
- Facilitate capacity building of small enterprises to address identified weaknesses.
- Develop a strategy/schedule to mentor and monitor the implementation of the business plans selected for investment.
- Organize, in coordination with all the team, the implementation of all activities, workshops, events of the Oe-cusse Business Incubator
Knowledge Building and sharing:
- Implement specific trainings for the local business
- Contribute to sharing lessons learned and knowledge with the project staff or related CO staff
Prepare and implement workshops oriented to involve young people into business activities.
Support the implementation of OBI Business Incubator at school.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall project efficiency in local business development in Oe-cusse. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP credibility in use of resources and proper process management. The information provided facilitates decision making of the project management.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate
Level 1.2: Research and data analysis
- Promotes awareness of UNDP’s centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2.: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Research and analysis
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- cting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Administration, social sciences or related areas.
- Master degree in economic development or business management an advantage (not obligatory).
- At least 2 (two) years for Bachelor degree and 0 (zero) year for master degree in previous experience in business development support in the public or private sector.
- Experience with UNDP is a very strong advantage
- Experience in the usage of computers and word/excel package.
- Comfortable learning new software as needed, transferring the knowledge and providing training
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is an advantage,
- Working knowledge of Tetun or Baikeno is compulsory
- Portuguese is an advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.