Finance Associate, UN Women-Mexico
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the daily supervision of the Operations Associate, the Finance Associate is responsible for the execution of a wide range of financial services and administrative processes in the CO, ensuring timeliness, efficiency and transparent use of financial resources and delivery of services in accordance with organizational financial rules, regulations, policies, procedures and approved allocations. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations, standard practices and guidelines.
The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations and Programme Teams for solving complex finance-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Implement financial strategies, in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems
- Review and verify financial transactions, activities, and documentation, taking corrective actions as needed and reporting any unusual activities;
- Monitor financial exceptions reports for unusual activities or transaction, investigate anomalies and report to the supervisor conclusions and/or present recommendations for actions/decisions;
- Draft reports on financial status, procedures, exchange rates, costs and expenditures;
- Follow-up on audit recommendations to monitor implementation of corrective actions;
- Collect, verify and present information and data for use in the planning of financial resources and the formulation of the CO program work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities;
- Provide advice and recommend solutions to a wide range of financial issues;
- Monitor the proper functioning of the financial resources management system for office and programmatic budgets and resources;
- Implement cost saving and reduction strategies;
- Prepare drafts for cost sharing and Trust Fund agreements including conditions of contributions within resource mobilization efforts. Follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
2. Prepare and administer CO budgets in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems
- Formulate the budget, control allotments, monitor expenditures, and prepare revisions according to the needs of the CO;
- Track the appropriate and timely use of financial resources;
- Prepare cost recovery documents or bills for the services provided by UN Women to other programmes or organizations;
- Implement and maintain control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications and budgetary status;
- Maintain internal expenditure control system;
- Undertake corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers. Respond to RO/HQ requests to resolve financial data issues;
- Prepare VAT reimbursements with adequate documentation support to be processed by UNDP
- Input data in Atlas and monitor status. Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely action and/or decisions;
- Verify accuracy of Combined/Programme Delivery Reports and One UN Financial Reports as applicable. Take appropriate action to ensure accuracy of information;
- Manage petty cash fund, cash impress level and other temporary General Ledger accounts.
3. Provide finance support to the Programme team
- Follow up with HQ the accounts receivables for UN Women CO projects and follow-up with project managers and finance section at regional office and/or headquarters on contributions, deposits creation in Atlas and their application to AR pending items;
- Prepare PO and non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Record and post transactions in Atlas, process travel claims, MPOs, and other entitlements;
- Monitor proper follow up of advances to implementing partners, review their financial reports together with project managers;
- Monitor and proper follow up of all financial items in Month-end closure instructions and under the guidance of the Operations Manager implement control mechanisms for management/development projects;
- Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely actions/decisions and review status reports for quality control;
- Provide inputs to financial reports to Regional Office, HQ Finance and stakeholders;
- Provide inputs to financial project closure;
- Associate revenue and expenditure in commitment control for non-core projects.
4. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Conduct training and/or helping organize training events and activities; as well as participate in trainings;
- Collect and compile lessons learned and best practices in financial management and services. Disseminate to clients and stakeholders as appropriate to build capacity and knowledge;
- Contribute to financial business operational practices and management innovations.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely, complete and accurate financial transactions/activities/documentation
- Timely and accurate advice on UN Women financial rules and regulations
- Timely and regular monitoring of financial resources management system and timely expenditure of financial resources
- Timely and accurate support to budget formulation and controlling allotments
- Timely and accurate monitoring of internal expenditures control systems
- Timely and accurate drafting of financial reports
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong knowledge of financial rules and regulations and accounting principles;
- Strong knowledge and application skills of IT tools and understanding of management systems;
- Strong knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems;
- Ability to administer and execute financial and accounting processes and transactions.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education is required.
- Specialized national or international certification in accounting and finance is an asset
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting is an asset
- Successful completion of UN Women Accounting and Finance Test is required.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience in finance;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
***For this position the candidate must have Mexican Nationality or holder of a valid work permit at the time of their application.
- All applications must include (as an attachment) cover letter and the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://mexico.unwomen.org/es/conozcanos/empleo both of which should be submitted electronically.
Please group all your documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.