(RE-ADVERTISEMENT) Project Associate (Markets for Change / M4C) (Open to Ni-Vanuatu Nationals ONLY)
Port Vila (Vanuatu)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women Pacific Multi-Country Office is based in Suva, Fiji and works alongside over 20 other UN agencies in the region and in 14 countries: Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Republic of Marshall Islands, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
Under its Strategic Note 2018-2022, UN Women Fiji MCO focuses on delivering on four interlinked programme areas underpinned by support for intergovernmental and normative processes:
- Women’s Political Empowerment and Leadership
- Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Ending Violence against Women
- Gender and Protection in Humanitarian Action and Disaster Risk Reduction
Markets for Change / M4C
The Markets for Change - Fiji, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu Project (hereinafter referred to as the M4C project) is a six-year initiative aimed at ensuring that marketplaces in rural and urban areas are safe, inclusive and non-discriminatory environments, promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The M4C project aims to promote the gender, social and economic empowerment of market vendors, with specific attention to the needs and aspirations of women market vendors. Through the creation of representative groups in marketplaces, a focus on economic security, the strengthening of local government institutions, procedures and development approach, and the design and building of gender-responsive infrastructure, market vendors will be able to influence decision-making on market management and resource allocation, supporting the economic and social empowerment of market vendors, and the advancement of women market vendors. In Fiji, a total of 10 markets will be reached over the course of the Project. Evidence to date underlines support by local government and market management.
M4C project will use a multi-sectoral approach to build on previous work done by UN Women, and other UN agencies and partners, to strengthen the present network of market vendors, empower women market vendors and create an enabling environment for their growth. M4C will also support gender-responsive infrastructure regarding market extensions and refurbishment. The Markets for Change projects is implemented by UN Women, with UNDP acting as the Responsible Party for the delivery of Outcome 2.
UN Women is seeking the services of a M4C Vanuatu Project Associate who will work with the M4C team based in Port Vila, Vanuatu and in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the Port Vila and MCO Fiji office and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the M4C Vanuatu Project Manager, the M4C Project Associate assists in the overall management of administrative services, administers and executes processes and transactions ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The M4C Project Associate promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provides effective support to management of the M4C Project in Vanuatu focusing on the achievement of the following results, including but not limited to:
- Support the financial management of the project;
- Assist and provide guidance to the M4C Project on routine implementation and tracking of financial resources;
- Assist and provide necessary required information to any audit requirement of the project and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, the Fiji Multi Country- Office, and project team, as inputs to various databases and documents;
- Support the Project team in the tracking and reporting on mobilized resources;
- Provide administrative support in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Provide administrative and financial guidance to the CO/MCOs and executing agencies on routine delivery and reporting of programme supported activities and finances;
- Prepare information for the audit of programmes/projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Review programme data from programmes/projects for the MCO/CO/RO website.
Provides administrative, secretarial, financial and operational support to the M4C Project in Vanuatu focusing on achievement of the following results, including but not limited to:
- Undertake all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions;
- Make travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims;
- Prepare public information materials and briefing packets; assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations;
- Prepare cost-sharing and other agreements; follow up on contributions within the RO/MCO/CO resource mobilization efforts;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, RO/MCO/CO, and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas;
- Preparation of Procurement Plan in line with approved OWP;
- Preparation of Month End Certification including extraction of Account Activity Analysis (AAA) and Budget Utilization report. Timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Creation of projects and requisitions in Atlas for development projects and budget check for requisition, registration of goods receipt in Atlas;
- Preparation and revision of budget and upload of supporting document, processing payment request and preparation of Atlas reports including Expenses by Activity and Project Budget Balance;
- Revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project as required;
- Assist in the preparation and follow up of cost-recovery bills in Atlas;
- Provide administrative support in monitoring budget preparation and the finances of programmes/projects; including the finalization of FACE forms;
- Review financial reports; prepare non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Process payment for consultants;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system;
- Prepare quarterly Procurement Plan and share with MCO;
- Assist in checking the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for the Project, including payment execution and monitoring payment status;
- Preparation and handling the routine correspondence related to general administration, procurement, financial and personnel matters; faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with UN Women rules and procedures;
- Ensure all supporting documents on financial transactions are secured and properly filed ensuring office is in line with audit standards;
- Liaise with stakeholders’ focal point in following up on FACE forms;
- Develop an efficient filing system to keep all relevant information;
- Support the drafting of minutes, invitation letters and preparation of document for meeting and its distribution for M4CVanuatu.
Provides administrative support towards the implementation of knowledge management in the M4C Project in Vanuatu focusing on achievement of the following results, including but not limited to:
- Provides support in creating knowledge hub for M4C Project;
- Provides logistical support to the facilitation / organizing of trainings for the project staff and the follow-up and storage of training documentation;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt, and best practices related to programme administration, management and finance;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Use UN Women MCO share point as repository site by uploading all critical documents and correspondence;
- Develop an efficient system of monitoring project staff travel, to inform project staff of time away from duty station and maximum use of missions;
- Maintain copies of mission reports and prepare tracking sheet for follow up actions and document repository;
- Maintain record of narrative and financial reports, audits, monitoring plans, minutes, agreements, etc.
- Supports the Monitoring and Communications officer as needed in data collection.
Support other operations related activities as may be needed and requested by Supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and accurate support to events, workshops, and missions;
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Timely recording of overall programme unit finances;
- Timely and accurate tracking of data for CO management and donor purposes;
- Quality maintenance of internal systems.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good knowledge of programme management;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
- Strong financial and budgeting skills;
- Strong IT skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education required;
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration is an asset but is not a requirement
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in administration or programme or project management/support;
- Experience in support services is required at the national or international level is desirable;
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages;
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset;
- Experience in supporting a team.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.