Associate Scientist (18-101)
International Potato Center Ref: 18-101 AS/NRS/HQ
The InternationalPotato Center (CIP) isseeking anexperiencedand committedprofessionalto fill the position of Associate Scientist for a jointly project between the hosted organizations, Bioversity International and the World Agroforestry Center (ICRAF).
Bioversity International: Is a global research-for-development organization. Bioversity delivers scientific evidence, management practices and policy options to use and safeguard agricultural biodiversitytoattainsustainableglobalfoodandnutritionsecurity.Bioversityworkswithpartners in low-income countries in different regions where agricultural biodiversity can contribute to improved nutrition, resilience, productivity and climate change adaptation. Bioversity International is a CGIAR Research Centre.
WorldAgroforestryCenter(ICRAF):Isacenterofscientificexcellencethatharnessesthebenefits oftreesforpeopleandtheenvironment.Leveragingtheworld’slargestrepositoryofagroforestry science and information, ICRAF develop knowledge practices, from farmers’ fields to the global sphere, to ensure food security and environmental sustainability
The Position: The position will be based in Lima, Peru, with extensive trips to Piura, Cusco, and San Martín and other cacao regions.
Duties and Accountabilities:
• Contribute to the identification of critical success factors of fine and flavour cacao buyers (demand side) and lead the identification of locally available capacities and resources in Cusco and Piura (supply side) to allow supply-demand matchmaking and the development of upgrading strategies for cocoa cooperatives based on it.
• Develop a scaling strategy for rollout of diversified cocoa production systems based on high- value native fine and flavour genotypes, with specific focus on employment and income opportunities for women and youth
• Contribute to the co-development of product-specific scenarios for marketing native fine or flavor cocoa beans (feasibility level) and pulp (pre-feasibility level), together with APPCACAO, selected member cooperatives (NORANDINO, ALTO URUBAMBA…), and private sector representatives
• Supervise a team of consultants and students to conduct case studies of inclusive business
and provide support to data analysis and shynthesis to project coordinator
• Support the development and integration of Value Chain components in the analysis of
feasibility of agroforestry concessions in San Martín
• Marginally provide logistical support to research on Local Food Systems in Cusco
• Participate in two-way feedback activities with stakeholders, be active in validation activities
and adaptive research planning so that emerging knowledge can inform upcoming research
activities, and support the integration of gender-relevant findings into project management
• Participate in the identification of funding opportunities and contribute to the development of
concept notes and funding proposals
• Participate in project management processes, including planning and implementation
activities, preparation of periodical progress reports to stakeholders and donors, and
coordination of the work of partners
publication outlets, in line with the Bioversity/ICRAF/CGIAR Open Access policy
• Present key findings of the research at project meetings, to stakeholders, and at relevant
national and international conferences
• Contribute to scientific development, capacity building and knowledge sharing through
relevant networks and communication channels
• Academic qualifications: PhD in economics, marketing, or other relevant social science field;
• Experience: At least 8 years of relevant work experience and a minimum of 3 years post-doc
experience in value chain, markets and livelihood research, preferably in an international
working environment. Previous research experience with and good knowledge ofvalue chains,
livelihood systems, and markets for agricultural and tree crops.
• Languages: ExcellentcommandoftheEnglishandSpanishlanguages,bothwrittenandspoken.
• Skills: Well-developed scientific data management and analysis skills; proven competence in
working with statistical packages (such as R, SPSS, STATA or SAS) and data management
systems. Good project management skills, including people’s management and management
of financial resources.
• Other: Willing to work independently, very organized, willing and able to travel extensively Conditions:This position islocaland employmentcontractwill be fora one-year term withthree months of probation period and with the possibility of renewal.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V. with the names
and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s
31, 2018 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however
only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about the organizations by visiting the following website: