ICT Specialist (Cloud Applications Platforms), P-3, ICTD New York (#15858)
New York City (United States of America)
The ICT Specialist (Cloud Applications Platforms) will be responsible for the design, implementation and administration of the Application Hosting Platforms Services. This includes the complete day-to-day operation and support of these platforms, including the commissioning of the resources for new workloads, configuration, troubleshooting, fault identification, rectification, performance and health monitoring, control and administration of all the suite's services for all the globally hosted applications.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a connected world
The overarching strategic goal of UNICEF’s Information and Communication Technology Division (ICTD) is to transform and build partnerships with our stakeholders to successfully implement UNICEF programmes globally through the use of innovative technology-enabled solutions.
Platforms and Service Delivery Section designs, builds and manages the IT platforms, services and tools in all strategic technology areas including the Data Center, network infrastructure, connectivity in its various modalities, cloud, IT security, collaboration and mobility. Each of these technology areas represent the delivery of capability that is constantly improving the UNICEF efficiency, transparency and effectiveness posture.
How can you make a difference?
Under the guidance on the Systems Architect, the incumbent will be responsible for the design, implementation and administration of the Application Hosting Platforms Services. This includes the complete day-to-day operation and support of these platforms, including the commissioning of the resources for new workloads, configuration, troubleshooting, fault identification, rectification, performance and health monitoring, control and administration of all the suite's services for all the globally hosted applications.
Additionally, the position proposes and implements enhancements to improve the platform’s functionalities and general development productivity and administration experience and plays a central role on the release of new platform services and features.
Finally, the position provides direct technical input to support the design and development of global application platforms and services, coordinates monitoring and remediation activities with partner sections and third-party vendors managing cloud deployments and contributes to the creation of artifacts such as references, architecture documents and samples.
Administration of the Cloud Application Platforms and Services: Administer the global Cloud Platform Application Hosting Services across all UNICEF standard Cloud providers, covering both the management of the global ICTD workloads and the configuration, major changes and operational oversight of the regional and local workloads that operates under delegated third party / field administration. Manage system capacity, response, availability and service levels.
Cloud Application Platforms and Services Documentation, Features and Service releases: Prepare and/or oversee preparation of technical artifacts on global application and services hosting platform operations, processes, procedures, performance and monitoring, and configurations. Prepare documents on fault tracing, app hosting policies and procedures, and on implementation of maintenance process and status.
Support to the design and development of global Cloud Application Platforms and Services and other duties: Assist the other Senior Architects with the overall coordination, design, development and maintenance of platform services and related systems.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have…
- Five or more years of professional experience designing, deploying and managing cloud workloads using both Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS).
- An advanced university degree (master’s or higher) in computer science, engineering, or related field. A combination of a first university degree in a relevant field combined with two additional years of relevant professional experience may be substituted for the advanced university degree.
- Experience with software development tools and processes.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) is an asset.
In addition, it is expected that the candidate will have:
- Proven experience designing solutions and managing deployments in Microsoft Azure and Amazon Webservices, using both IaaS and PaaS services.
- Extensive knowledge of tools and frameworks for automating cloud provisioning, configuration management, and application deployments, such as PowerShell and Ansible.
- Working knowledge of common open source development languages and frameworks and Database technologies.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Enterprise Development technologies, such as .net SharePoint and Office365.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and our core competencies are Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
In addition, the following functional competencies are required for this position:
- Leading and Supervising [I]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [II]
- Analyzing [II]
- Planning and Organizing [II]
- Applying Technical Expertise [III]
View our competency framework here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New York City (United States of America)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: 2019-01-25