Gender Based Violence (GBV) Assistant
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified is currently looking for a Gender-based violence (GBV) Assistant to work at its office in Cox’s Bazar.
About the job
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading NGOs, with a focus on responding to displacement, have been registered in Bangladesh since 2013. In 2017, in response to the Rohingya influx, DRC are preparing to launch an integrated program of support to the government in site management, shelter/NFI and protection. In 2018, DRC will be implementing aid projects in support of the host communities most affected by the influx of refugees. As a key part of this, DRC opened up a main office in Cox’s Bazar, and a support/liaison office in Dhaka.
The Gender-based violence Assistant’s primary function is to conduct quality implementation of the Gender-based violence thematic area in synergy with the larger protection and child protection components which constitute the overall DRC programme in Cox’s Bazar. He/She will provide direct support to clients presenting to the community center at upazila level.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Ensure daily quality implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Gender-based violence- related projects and interventions.
- Engage with the community and community representatives to understand needs and gaps in Gender-based violence programming.
- Support Gender-based violence cases received at the center and identified in the community through the provision of case management services to respond to the needs of clients, provide them information and resources to access services and make appropriate referrals to other service providers if required.
- Incorporate a survivor/client-centered approach in all center activities.
- Ensure strict adherence to confidentiality for all case-related information; protect the identities of clients in the design and implementation of all activities.
- Assess the knowledge and utilization of health and other services available for survivors of GBV.
- Work closely with GBV volunteers to ensure awareness of services in the community, facilitate referrals into and out of the community center, and to support clients on GBV protection related needs.
- Ensure updated filing and documentation of Gender-based violence cases in line with DRC tools.
- Alert GBV Officers, GBV Team Leaders and GBV Manager of any gaps in process, tools, or staff capacities to meet the needs of clients or ensure confidentiality and survivor-centered care.
- Engage in continuous professional development for the purposes of increasing the quality and depth of your work.
- Collaborate with other DRC staff as needed.
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
- University degree or advances training/ course in psychology, sociology, anthropology, gender studies, social work, international affairs, humanitarian aid, or related field;
- Minimum of two years’ experience working with vulnerable communities, basic needs and social service experience, and/or advocacy programs.
- Experience in GBV/protection interventions
- Experience of working with UN or Non‐Governmental organizations or local governmental authorities.
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct training and awareness
- Computer skills (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Good organizational and management skills.
- Fluency in Bangla & Chittagonian Highly Desirable
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Designation of Duty Station: Based in Cox’s Bazar
Start date: Mid of January 2019
Salary: BDT 39,530/=
Contact Length: Until 31 March 2019, Full Time (with possible extensions)
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff in Bangladesh
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications must be submitted through the page by clicking apply. Applications submitted by email will not be considered. Please don’t submit hard copy. Hard copy is not allowed.
Closing date for applications: 5 January 2019.Due to the urgency of the position, DRC will review applications on a rolling basis and candidates may be invited to test/interview.