Shelter Assistant (National Position) Hajja - Yemen
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function.
- Help plan and take part in need assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies and feedback findings to the stakeholders.
- Ensure proper filing of technical documents in both hard and soft copies.
- Take part in technical surveys for shelter related infrastructure, prepare BoQs, drawing and cost estimated.
- Prepare detail implementation plans, monthly and weekly plans of shelter activities in his/her area.
- Help plan activities implementation of shelter activities.
- Collate data from the incentive workers and prepare regular reports on activities and shelter condition for monitoring.
- Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the shelter sector and between sectors such as WASH and Food Security.
- Prepare activity implementation and monitoring reports.
- Supervise construction and rehabilitation of shelters and ensure all construction is done with quality as per specified technical drawings and BoQs.
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in design and delivery of essential shelter projects activities.
- Beneficiaries and other stakeholder’s community mobilization.
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the shelters programs.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or other construction-related Engineering.
- Previous experience in conducting shelter projects will be preferred.
- Good documentation and report writing skills is required.
- Civil engineering / construction
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Experience from working as a Shelter Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Some knowledge of English.
- 12 Months (Renewable based on funding / Performance)
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected