Web Editor/Content Specialist
Background Information - Job-specific
Background information - Job specific
This Vacancy Announcement is being published by UNOPS - ECR Geneva on behalf of the SEforALL Initiative
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an International Non-Governmental Organization operating a world-wide multi-stakeholder platform focused on the delivery of Sustainable Development Goal #7. Launched as a UN initiative in 2011 by the Secretary General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-Moon, SEforALL is widely acknowledged for its achievement in raising global awareness of the world's sustainable energy challenges, ensuring they were included in the UN's Sustainable Development Goals. SEforALL is directed by its CEO and supports the work of the CEO as she carries out her duties as the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary General (SRSG) for Sustainable Energy for All, as well as her role as the co-chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7) and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system. The Secretary General’s advisory committee on Sustainable Energy for All will be supported by the SRSG and SEforALL.The ambitions of SDG7 on ensuring universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services by 2030 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris agreements involves transformation at a scale never undertaken by humanity before. Swift action needs to be taken by leaders in governments, companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions and communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As a global team, SEforALL crafts interventions that support these leaders in accelerating the delivery of actions. All interventions comprise one or more of SEforALL’s competencies: (i) to marshal the evidence, (ii) to benchmark progress towards SEforALL objectives, (iii) to amplify the voices of the energy poor; (iv) to tell stories of success, and (v) to connect stakeholders to each other and to solutions. All interventions systematically draw on strategic insight, build on compelling communications, and are delivered through and include action-oriented partnerships
Context of Assignment:
The SEforALL Communications Team faces the dual challenge of, on the one hand, continuing to promote and position the initiative, while on the other hand, evolving its brand, visual and media strategy. A new strategic framework has been discussed by the SEforALL Advisory Board, and subsequently several outreach, launch, and positioning activities will take place to both frame the discussions that SEforALL intends to drive, and to support change agents amongst SEforALL’s partners and counterparts in their implementation efforts. Under the overall guidance of the SEforALL Communications Director, the Content Specialist role will be to take the lead in shaping and handling SEforALL’s content and written products on an ongoing basis.
Title of Supervisor:
Director of Communications
Content and methodology of supervision:
The staff member will be supervised through individual meetings with the supervisor, weekly team meetings, and through periodic performance appraisals.
Duties and Accountabilities
We are looking for an outstanding and creative communications professional to develop and implement the content strategy for SEforALL’s new website and particularly own the content production process, significantly improving the quality and visibility of the SEforALL offering to ensure wide and enduring impact. You will ensure that our website, and digital publications are designed for maximum accessibility, ease of use and impact will play a vital role in taking our communications to the next level.
As the successful candidate, you will have a passion for communicating often complex information in clear, targeted and engaging ways and will use insights and frequent evaluation to inform – and drive – the SEforALL digital communications strategy. Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Web Editor/Content Specialist will apply digital thinking to the way we approach and communicate projects and will provide training and guidance to staff to increase capacity and raise awareness of appropriate and engaging technologies, formats and platforms. There will be a particular requirement for content generation and editing, harnessing the power of the team and stakeholders to ensure that the website is continually updated with new content and insights from the movement.
Alongside the Director of Communications and others in the senior management team at SEforALL, you will champion a positive and collaborative approach and feel excited to be part of a team that strives to place high quality evidence and stories of success at the heart of policy and public debates. Working directly with the Communications Director and as part of the wider SEforALL communications team that supports the Director, the Web Editor/Content Specialist serves as the lead communications advisor and writer supporting the wider organization to ensure that our online content is effectively communicated to target audiences. The post holder will also be a writing and content development professional for a range of sophisticated content in support of SEforALL’s outreach and communications efforts.
The Web Editor/Content Specialist will function as author and editor for content for high-level internal and external engagements; prepare compelling and accurate distillations of the SEforALL leadership's thoughts for publication on our website; and provide writing and editing of other major communications initiatives. The post holder will also be responsible for ensuring that the SEforALL website storytelling capacity to ensure key audiences are further inspired to act.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
Web Editor: Overall responsibility for the development and continuous improvement of SEforALL digital strategy, ensuring that our website and social media channels and content have high visibility and are appropriately designed to engage and inform key audiences. Lead on SEforALL website and digital content design, helping to curate a large volume of content in a way that is accessible to multiple audiences and supports the SEforALL brand, objectives and tone of voice. Ensure that SEforALL publications are well formatted and presented, using internal and external stakeholder engagement and insights as appropriate. Create practical tools, guidelines and training to help SEforALL staff communicate their research through formats that are relevant, high-quality and audience-appropriate content. Curate a consistent flow of content on the SEforALL website to ensure that the SEforALL tone of voice and unique position is maximized and our partners in the wider SEforALL movement are showcased. Accountable for the website and newsletter content calendar and act as the final editor and approval person for content publication on the website.
For content production: Ensure that SEforALL is able to produce high quality products that communicate the thought leadership provided by the organization and the movement to drive change. Support the wider SEforALL team to ensure that their activities engage audiences and are efficiently managed to present a positive view of the organization and the movement. This will include working with contractors, including designers, and produce high quality materials and web copy. Guide the deployment of the content and other collaterals to ensure audiences are informed and engaged. Develop short films and animations to articulate stories of success to be showcased on the website.
For storytelling initiative: Support the SEforALL storytelling initiative by seeking out and identifying appropriate stories, interviewing stakeholders, researching background information, identifying, proposing compelling multimedia formats and writing stories in consistent and recognizable formats for publication on the website, through social media and other digital/traditional media and via SEforALL’s monthly newsletter. Help identify strategic media partners who can help give these stories far bigger reach and impact. Responsible for the SEforALL newsletter and news content on the web.
For other formats: Tailor messaging and corresponding media for SEforALL in a variety of formats. (PowerPoint, print, and online outlets including OpEds, blogs and podcasting). Ensure appropriateness of style, format, and tone as required.
Broader writing and editing tasks: Write and edit other communications for, public relations, direct marketing and other initiatives for specific markets as needed, including but not limited to the annual report, donor reports, etc.
- Master’s degree in Communications, Business studies, International relations, Public Policy or relevant discipline.
- At least 5 years of progressively more demanding experience, with a preference for experience in speechwriting, marketing, presentation preparation, news writing, or other related fields.
- Proven ability to be able to write with humanity and translate technical topics in a grounded manner.
- Experience in a fast-paced environment that requires high flexibility and a commitment to results.
- Experience of speechwriting for high profile figures operating in an international and political environment.
- Experience of energy, development and the United Nations system required.
- Experience in operating across multiple time zones and with distributed teams.
- Complete fluency in English with strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Knowledge and ability to work in another UN language desirable. (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
Writing Able to write compelling narratives in a variety of formats (website copy, speech, article, blog, report) based on a variety of sources. Able to identify relevant sources and to discard irrelevant ones. Able to tailor writing style to different authors and occasions for which various pieces might be needed and appropriate to different communication tools and media channels. Ability to engage with senior leadership and instill confidence with diplomacy. Able to evidence an understanding of international as well as domestic landscape and context.
Content Development Has significant experience in and/or demonstrates broad, in-depth proficiency in this competency and is therefore able to develop complex and highly visible materials for internal and external use. Experience in a similar role, with direct responsibility for developing effective and innovative websites and digital content. Solid experience of devising, coordinating and drafting compelling content and implementing digital content and social media strategies.
Content and Style Editing Has significant experience in, leads others and demonstrates in-depth proficiency in rewriting or editing complex communications products for purposeful structure, clarity of ideas, and the logical persuasive presentation of content. Content management and production experience, including well-designed templates and thoughtful, consistent and engaging web copy.
Research and Identification of Materials Able to scan large quantities of materials and to research own sources and materials as input in content development and writing. Within the context of energy and climate related themes, able to find new sources of information and access personal stories of individuals and leaders affecting and living through change and transition. Knowledge of energy, climate change and development Has sound background of knowledge of topics, stories, and materials relevant for global/international and local/project specific themes related to energy, climate change and development. Able to distinguish new and compelling writing from “same old”. Able to distinguish jargon from communication that moves audiences and able to understand and write for audiences according to their background, involvement and personal investment in the field, motivating and inspiring thought and action.
Excellent influencing skills and the ability to inspire and coach colleagues, building internal capacity and demonstrating the value and impact of ongoing digital projects. A passion for high quality policy-relevant content and a keen interest in sustainable energy and public policy. Willingness to ‘muck-in’ and support wider communications activities.
- Client Orientation Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge. Acts as a credible business partner and works with a long-term and institution wide perspective in addressing clients' needs
- Drive for Results Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables. Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches. Knowledge, Learning and Communication Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels. Makes high impact, results oriented presentations and speeches to appropriate decision makers and influences
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision-Making Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.
- Planning and Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment where adaptability will be a premier.
- Teamwork Work within a newly formed team as well as with colleagues across work units, departments, divisions and with others. Support colleagues, establish a team culture, encourage others to participate in teamwork and share responsibility for decision making and results. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Demonstrated ability to work with teams representing a wide variety of staffing levels that also cut across agencies and partners, and work without direct authority to deliver timely and high-quality products. Strong team player capabilities.
- Personal Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude. Demonstrates behavior of professional and personal ethics transparency and openness to encourage respect and similar behavior from colleagues in the work place. Sensitivity to other people’s cultural and religious norms and the ability to easily blend with others. Must have shown to have the ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information. Exhibits diplomacy, loyalty and commitment to SEforALL’s goals. Sense of humor an advantage.
Partnership. SEforALL’s global team operates within and across partner driven networks, building on its strong relationship with the UN. SEforALL’s global team catalyzes connections, coordinates activities with others, collaborates on common objectives and leverages opportunities to deliver more as a platform than it can do individually.
Agility. SEforALL’s global team is adaptive in its approach so it can stay focused on its goal in an evolving economic and political environment. It brings people together that don’t normally talk to each other and frames the questions differently, so it can help leaders unlock action and finance.
Diversity. SEforALL’s global team recognizes the diversity of needs across countries and communities and commits to working with all actors in delivering solutions that respond to these differentiated needs.
Equity. SEforALL’s goal is for “all.” SEforALL’s global team strives for a sustainable energy transition that is just and equitable and leaves no one behind.
Results. SEforALL global team focuses on helping leaders make the most progress, fastest in areas that make a meaningful contribution to SEforALL’s objectives. It is solutions-oriented. It values evidence and data. It understands the scale and urgency of the sustainable energy challenge and the need for a holistic systems-based approach.
Trust. SEforALL’s global team treats information carefully and respects what it is entrusted with as it serves partners and their success