Senior Procurement Assistant
Uzbekistan is globally and regionally important in terms of its biodiversity due to its location between the European, Middle Eastern, and Asian biogeographical regions. Its varying landscapes of high mountain ranges, wide steppes, deserts, riparian wetlands, and the Aral Sea has results in a wide diversity of habitats. UNDP, for many years, have supported the Government of Uzbekistan in tackling environmental challenges, including in the area of biodiversity conservation.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Global Environment Facility (GEF) and Republic of Uzbekistan project on “Sustainable natural resource use and forest management in key mountainous areas important for globally significant biodiversity” will further support the country in addressing biodiversity conservation challenges, specifically with focusing on mountain ecosystems such as the western-most outliers of the western Tian Shan (Chatkal, Pskem, Ugam and Kuramin ranges) and Pamir-Alai (Gissar, Turkestan and Zaravshan ranges), which are home to the endangered snow leopard, and provide important habitat for its key prey species.
The project objective is ‘To enhance the conservation, and sustainable use, of natural resources in the biodiverse high altitude mountain ecosystems of Uzbekistan’, and the project is structured into four components, with each component comprising a complementary suite of two to three outputs:
Component 1: Landscape level planning and management decision-making;
Component 2: Strengthening key biodiversity areas;
Component 3: Sustainable economic development incentives for communities;
Component 4: Promoting cooperation and collaboration.
Due to a large volume and complexity of procurement activities taking place in 2019 and beyond, the project is hiring a Senior Procurement Assistant.
Under direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Senior Procurement Assistant is responsible for providing procurement support to the project by contributing to the operational part of project implementation mainly focused on procurement and planning, providing timely competitive processes in compliance with corporate guidelines, contract management, monitoring and reporting of progress.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of Project Manager and with support from the project Administrative/Finance Assistant, the Senior Procurement Assistant provides support to project implementation performing a variety of standard procurement processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Senior Procurement Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Senior Procurement Assistant works in close collaboration with the UNDP CO Sustainable Development Cluster, Operations team, projects staff and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery complying with UNDP rules.
Following duties and responsibilities:
- Based on consultations with the Project Manager, relevant UNDP programme and operations unit colleagues, perform procurement related operations in accordance with project AWP and Procurement plan, and in line with the UNDP SOP;
- Provides support and guidance to relevant project team on drafting of Terms of References (ToRs), technical specifications and scope of work for new procurement activities;
- Organizes procurement processes, including bidding for posted announcements through Micro Purchasing Orders (MPOs) Request for quotations (RFQs), Invitation to bid (ITBs) or Request for proposals (RFPs); receipt of quotations, bids or proposals; their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions, selection of potential contractor; awarding the contract/Purchase order (PO), monitor contractual relations, performance of signed contracts, dispute resolution, and transfer of procured goods to respective beneficiaries in accordance with UNDP procedures;
- Submits tender documents to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP), Advisory Committee on Procurement;
- Provides support to Evaluation Panel members to facilitate the process of bid evaluation;
- Develops and updates the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation as well as uploads all procurement related activities (MPOs, RFPs, RFQs, ITBs) to the project database;
- Monitors contract activities to ensure that goods, services and/or works contracted by UNDP are delivered in a timely manner, at the agreed cost and to the specified requirements as well as prepares package of documents to proceed with cargo customs clearance and transportation of all imported equipment/commodities procured by the project on a timely manner;
- Drafts contracts, between the Project and successful offerors, and supports vendor creation processes;
- Carries out market researches and due diligence as may be required in the scope of this TOR;
- Performs any other functions assigned by the supervisor in the scope of current assignment.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives;
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change;
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions;
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems;
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components;
Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly;
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems;
- Prepares timely inputs to reports;
- Maintains databases;
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets;
- Solid project and personnel management skills, and a consistent record of managing complex and challenging partnerships with governments and bilateral donors;
- Practical knowledge and skills for resource mobilization focusing on multilateral and bilateral donors;
- Familiarity with UNDP project management;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision-making.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Initiative, analytical judgment, ability to work under pressure, ethics and honesty;
- Experience with GEF projects will be an asset;
- Ability to use information and communication technology as a tool and resource;
- Experience in the field of environmental management is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, Finance, Economics, Accounting, or related field.
-Completed Procurement Certification Programme certification is a strong advantage (e.g. Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS))
- At least 2 years of work experience in purchasing field.
-Experience in finance and/or administration related area is an asset
-Experience with UN system/international organizations is an asset.
- Proficiency in English, Uzbek and Russian;
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Tashkent (Uzbekistan)
- Grade: SB-3 (SC6/SC7), Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Poverty Reduction
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2019-01-17