Liaison & Safety Officer - (National Position) - Tripoli
NRC is a Norwegian humanitarian organization working in more than 30 countries all over the world to provide assistance to the people who had to flee their houses because of conflict. NRC core competencies are in shelter, sanitation, food security, education and information/counselling/legal assistance. NRC support people solely based on their needs. NRC is setting up office in Libya. More info: www.nrc.no
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
1. Role and responsibilities
The Liaison & Safety Officer is responsible for implementing safety policies and liaison with relevant national bodies at the NRC Tripoli area office.
1. Implement NRC’s safety policies at office level
2. Conduct regular safety and risk assessments to identify safety and security needs
3. Train staff in safety and provide regular briefings and updates
4. Immediately report all breaches of safety procedures and all threats to NRC staff, beneficiaries, activities or assets
5. Facilitate staff evacuation in emergency situations
6. Supervise, train and develop eventual safety staff at office level
7. Liaise with UN agencies, NGOs.
8. Liaise with local authorities for access for NRC project in and around the Tripoli area
9. Ensure vehicle and staff movements are monitored according to procedures and that necessary safety equipment are available and in good condition
10. Prepare safety updates and reports as required
· Ensure that NRC humanitarian mission and principles are understood by all stakeholders in the field.
· Support the Access Manager to develop, maintain and establish positive and transparent relations with the key stakeholders in the areas of intervention.
· Collect, analyze and share information in areas of operation as tasked by the Access Manager including on significant contextual changes in order to supporting the Access Manager and program staff to develop an in-depth understanding about the areas of operation
· Represent NRC as a humanitarian organization in community outreach meetings and in access negotiation meetings with government and non-government stakeholders, in liaison with the Access Manager.
· Pursue and develop relationships with local partners to identify new humanitarian access opportunities and to maintain existing ones.
· When relevant, support other departments to develop local partnership, identifying opportunities, gauging chances of success and making sure the partnership adheres to NRC standards
Access & safety responsibilities
· Management of safety section (Safety assistant, Guards) in the Tripoli area office
· With the support of the Access Adviser, plan & Develop capacity of safety personnel of the Tripoli office
· Update and improve safety management plan for Tripoli office
· Conduct swift security assessments and full Safety Risk Assessments (SRA) in Tripoli according to minimum operational requirements (MOSS)
· Development and implementation of SOPs for safety management for Tripoli
· Ensure NRC operations in the area are MOSS compliant and introduces contextual relevant SOP’s and contingency plans
· Minimize safety risks to the operations of NRC in Tripoli area
· Provide safety training to program staff, drivers and guards
· Conduct safety risk assessment for NRC premises
· Prepare Travel SOP for Tripoli movement
· Preparation and submission of periodical reports to Access Manager
1. Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
· Experience from working as a Liaison / Safety Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
· Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
· Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
· Fluency in Arabic and English
Context related skills; knowledge and experience:
· Experience dealing with protection concerns in high risk settings
· Technical knowledge of and experience on humanitarian access
· Excellent writing and analytical skills
· Strong interpersonal skills, including capability to negotiate with stakeholders
· Knowledge of the security context in Libya particularly in Tripoli is an asset
2. Behavioral competencies
· Handling insecure environments
· Empowering and building trust
· Planning and delivering results
3. Performance Management
· The Job Description
· The individual Work- and Professional Development Plan
· The Competency Framework
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Tripoli (Libya)
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: 2019-01-21