Technical legal ICLA Officer "National Only" - Jordan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
1. Roles and Responsibilities
The Technical Legal Officer is responsible for providing legal support to ICLA beneficiaries, including through counselling and further legal actions.
Generic responsibilities (max 10)
Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards.
- Ensure compliance with Core Competency strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards.
- Responsible for implementation of technical activities of Core Competency project(s).
- Responsible for tracking financial expenditures for technical activities of Core Competency project(s).
- Responsible for technical quality control and monitoring of project activities.
- Ensure project documentation of technical activities of Core Competency project(s). Provide technical support and capacity building towards project staff.
- Provide technical analysis and feedback to NRC representatives in coordination forums.
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Promote the rights of internally displaced/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards & principles within NRC and amongst beneficiaries served by NRC.
- IF APPLICABLE: Monitor and document the implementation of project activities done by implementing partners and/or contractors (plan of action activities, contracts, financial expenditures and project documentation).
- IF APPLICABLE: Conduct quality control and provide technical support to implementing partners and/or contractors.
- Provision of information, counselling and further legal support to ICLA beneficiaries
- Case management of beneficiary cases inclduing necessary follow up within agreed deadlines. Close liaison with caseworkers in order to provide accurate and updated advise for ICLA beneficiaries.
- Conduct legal research and analysis when necessary and developing training materials.
- Coordination with partners and legal aid providers, including joint case management of cases. Other tasks required by Project Coordinator
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are
- Relevant core competency implementation staff Core Competency Specialists
- Support teams, Finance, HR, Admin and Logistics Communications staff
- Protection staff
- M&E department
Scale and scope of position
Stakeholders: Legal Aid Partners, Governmental Institutions and Courts
Information: ICLA Database
Legal or Compliance:
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional Competencies
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Experience from working within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Core competency expertise.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
Context/specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Qualification requirement: Bachelor degree or equivalent in law
- Years of Experience: 3
- Mafraq residence
- Valid license from the Jordanian Bar Association;
- Native fluency in Arabic;
- Work proficiency and good drafting skills in English.
- Knowledge of the displacement context in Jordan;
- Extensive knowledge of Jordanian legal system and practice; Background in housing, land and property law, and/or foreigners’ legal status law and/or civil documentation law and/or labour law considered a strong advantage
- Knowledge of Sharia law and its application in Jordan considered an advantage.
2.Behavioral Competencies (max 6)
Planning and delivering results
Working with people
Communicating with impact and respect Coping with Change
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The work and Development Plan
- The NRC Competency Framework
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Jordan (Jordan)
- Grade: Mid level
- Legal - Broad
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Legal - International Law
- Closing Date: 2019-01-22