Scientist – West and Central Research Program (RP-WCA)
Niamey (Niger) | niger
The West and Central Research Program (RP-WCA) of ICRISAT is looking for an experienced Scientist to provide leadership for interdisciplinary research leading to improved and more sustainable cropping systems. The position is based at ICRISAT-Niamey in Niger.
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is a non-profit, non-confessional and non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics is home to over 2 billion people, with 650 million of these being the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT, established in 1972, and is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, visit www.icrisat.org.
- Provide leadership for interdisciplinary research leading to improved and more sustainable cropping systems
- Design innovative high productive cropping systems related research;
- Contribute to the on-going research program at ICRISAT/Niamey around water, and nutrient use efficiency
- Develop and extend effective partnerships and collaborative relationships with national researchers (at NARES, universities, NGO’s, etc.), CGIAR and other partners in cross-cutting research and to represent ICRISAT at scientific conferences
- Contribute to the centre’s out-scaling activities
- Contribute to the centre’s capacity strengthening efforts, including training of national partners and internal staff, and supervision/mentoring of graduate students and short-term trainees
- Publish scientific outputs in peer-reviewed IF journals and others (e.g. technical reports, books or book chapters etc
- Contribute to resource mobilization through cooperative development of concept notes and proposals
- Undertake any other duties as required by the needs of the centre
- PhD degree in Agriculture, Soil Science, or related discipline with experience in agronomy systems and soil fertility management related research
- 2-3 years’ Post-Doctoral work experience on Agronomy and related research
- A high level of competency in the design and implementation of field-based experiments and demonstration program
- Understanding of semi-arid smallholder farming systems and their constraints and opportunities for sustainable intensification
- Demonstrated high performance and ability to undertake scaling-up research
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment
- Knowledge of statistical tools and database management
- Excellent spoken and written English and French
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good publication record, as evidenced by research papers in refereed journals.
- Experience in working with a wide range of stakeholders and interest to work in interdisciplinary team
- Ability and willingness to participate in field work and travel extensively
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff [IRS] position initially for three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before January 30, 2019; with a letter of motivation, latest curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer
- Organization: ICRISAT - The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics
- Location: Niamey (Niger) | niger
- Grade: Level not specified
- Scientist and Researcher
- Closing Date: 2019-01-30