Information Comm. Technology Assistant, GS 5, FT, Cotabato, Post #00108533 (For 1 year)
Join our dedicated team and contribute to support the fundamental mission of UNICEF in promoting the rights of every child, everywhere, through the equity strategy that emphasizes the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families. Help translate this commitment into action in the UNICEF 8th country programme (CP 2019-2023).
For every child, a fair chance
UNICEF has been an active partner of the Government of the Philippines and civil society in realizing the rights of every Filipino child, in line with priorities to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. UNICEF efforts have been focused on the most vulnerable regions identified by the Government of the Philippines Development Plan, particularly in the regions of Visayas and Mindanao. To ensure that interventions are sustainable and scaled up, UNICEF will support primarily local government units (LGUs) as the main instruments of delivering services and building systems. The level of engagement with government institutions will take into account capacities, economies of scale and sector issues.
It has a field office in Cotabato City, the second largest city in Mindanao, southern Philippines, with some 300,000 population. The city is the regional administrative centre of the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao and over 80 percent of the population is Muslim. Mindanao is both conflict-affected and prone to frequent earthquakes and typhoon storms.
Visit this link for more information on Philippine Country Office: https://www.unicef.org/philippines/
How can you make a difference?
Information and Communications Technology Assistant performs procedural activities pertaining to UNICEF’s ICT systems (which include desktop administration and server operations) and general support to office administration, e.g. installation and routine configuration of ICT system components and user orientation. Procedural activities also include all other processes that may not require the application of specialized information technology training and knowledge, such as maintaining technical and user documentation and/or serving as focal point for receipt and processing of user requests.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the ICT supervisor, the post shall undertake the following:
1. General ICT front-end support
- ICT Assistant will perform a full range of procedural activities in support of ICT to ensure effective communications with client departments/divisions/offices and efficient provision of support to other staff.
- Provide first-level support that includes receiving, processing and logging service requests. Providing second-level user support/troubleshooting.
- Manage lifecycle of ICT incidents assigned to him/her in service management tool.
- Provide support in conferencing with ICT and audiovisual equipment as and when requested.
- Maintain ICT inventory, manuals and other ICT documentation (this may require the incumbent to lift, move, mount, or store equipment).
2. ICT back-end support and monitoring:
- ICT Assistant is accountable for routine support pertaining to routine ICT activities requiring thorough understanding and application of server, operating system, hardware and software documentation and functionality.
- Install/upgrade, configure (routine, standard) and maintain ICT systems, tools and equipment including coordination with local ICT providers and local Internet service providers for repair and maintenance when required.
- Administer and monitor performance of server systems, network/firewall system, Internet links, Skype/PBX office telephony, and telecommunications systems (including satellite phones, BGAN).
- Perform backups of servers following standard backup procedures and restore relevant data when required.
- Generate regular ICT progress reports and update ICT operations manual
- Provide on-the-job orientation for users in the use of ICT systems.
- Develop ICT platform for office administration and collaboration purposes (e.g. SharePoint and other platforms).
3. Administrative Support:
The ICT Assistant will perform basic administrative tasks in support of the Operations functional area.
- Petty cash custodian
- Maintenance of assets (and non-asset) inventory
- Administering/processing payments for Operations expenditures
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary education is required, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the field of work in information technology or computer science, or electronics engineering.
- Relevant certified training(s) related to Computer Science, Information Systems, Telecommunications, Engineering is an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of practical work experience in information technology, requiring systematic methods of troubleshooting and problem solving is required.
- Experience in providing assistance to users on IT products and services, and use of applications and diagnostic tools is required. Practical experience and working knowledge of various computer platforms and applications is required.
- Practical experience in providing technical and business Customer Support and Services is required.
- Background or some experiences in office administration.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are:
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are requested to complete an online candidate profile in http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/ by 25 January 2019. Only applications sent through the e-recruitment portal under Job Number: --- will be considered.
All candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, and the duly filled P 11 form which can be downloaded from our website at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc indicating three (3) previous supervisors.
By applying through our Talent Management System (TMS) you agree to our privacy statement which is in line with the Philippines’ Data Privacy Act. You are strongly advised to read carefully through the privacy statement before submitting your application.
Only shortlisted consultants will be contacted.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.