Regional Administrative Manager
Bamako (Mali) | Mali
The West and Central Research Program (RP-WCA) of ICRISAT is looking for an experienced Regional Administrative Manager, who under the direct supervision of the RPD-WCA will be responsible for managing the overall daily operations, human resources, facilities, station-development, contracts, security and personnel administrative issues for the WCA locations. The position is based at ICRISAT-Bamako in Mali.
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is a non-profit, non-confessional and non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics is home to over 2 billion people, with 650 million of these being the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT, established in 1972, and is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, visit www.icrisat.org.
Under the supervision of the RPD-WCA and in liaison with Country Representatives for Niger and Nigeria, he/she will:
- Provide logistical support and review/update administrative and HR information systems for the region;
- Ensure the efficiency and relevance of texts and their compliance with national labor laws in view to a harmonious adherence of staff within the hub to Management decisions;
- Handle translation and ensure circulation of memos, directives, circulars issues by Management in English and French;
- Maintain close collaboration between nationally recruited staff (NRS) and internationally recruited staff (IRS) within the hub on one hand and liaise with HR and administrative staff at HQ to address routine administrative issues/queries.
- Handle recruitment of regional vacancies and liaise with HQ for onboarding and joining formalities
- Draft job descriptions in collaboration with Country representatives and hiring managers
- Serve as focal point for CCERS, audit/program and projects evaluation exercises, recruitment processes to fill approved positions;
- Be the single point of contact for Human Resource initiatives like promotion, and performance appraisal, for NRS in the region in view to:
- Ensuring consistent and transparent application of staff policies under all circumstances,
- Managing the performance of NRS by delivering meaningful feedback about strengths, development areas, and performance issues to the RPD,
- Establishing a prioritized staff management approach through an open and supportive environment,
- Motivating staff to collaboratively achieve results and collectively share achievements,
- Taking into consideration team strengths, development priorities, and departmental and work team accountabilities, when distributing tasks and accountabilities
- Handle insurance covers related to Human Resources, like medical and accident insurance
- Liaise with security officers of International NGOs, Diplomatic Missions and respective National Authorities to monitor and update the RPD on security-related issues and staff safety for decision-making.
- Review and update emergency plans for Management’s perusal
- Identify and compile capital needs for the RPD’s comments
- Master’s Degree in Business/Administrative Management/Human Resource Management or a practical experience handling administrative/personnel and security issues in an international NGO.
- At least five years of experience working in administration, logistics and human resource management, preferably in the West and Central African sub Region
- Ability to facilitate multi-locational administrative processes/procedures
- Hands-on problem-solver with strong analytical abilities.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and as a team member
- Affinity with team-building approaches, capacity strengthening and facilitation of training
- Ability to coordinate logistics for major events
- Ability to manage tasks independently or with limited supervision to meet agreed timelines
- Willingness and be physically fit to travel frequently
- Knowledge of labor regulations within the region; proficiency in written/spoken English and French are essential.
- Experience with CG Systems will be an asset.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft packages and electronic communication
This is a Scientific and Managerial Group (SMG) position initially for two years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before January 16, 2019; with a letter of motivation, latest curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer