Aviation Officer SC 8 (El Obeid)
El Obeid (Sudan)
Aviation Officer (UNHAS/El Obeid North Kordfan State) – SC 8
Would you like to join WFP Sudan’s UN Humanitarian Air Services (UNHAS) team and enable the delivery of professional, client-focused services to change and save the lives of the most vulnerable people in Sudan? If yes, this opportunity is for you.
At WFP, we are looking for a talented Aviation Officer to support our UNHAS Unit in El Obeid, Sudan, to be hired on a Service Contract at the SC 8 level.
How to apply?
To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings. If you are an internal applicant, apply through your E-Recruitment profile.
In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching your CV, answering the pre-screening questions and agreeing on the legal statement before submitting your application.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.
We are the largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Our mission is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every single day, we work worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. For more information visit: http://www1.wfp.org/
WFP’s greatest strength is its 14,000 dedicated people working tirelessly around the world to reduce hunger, often under difficult conditions where security threats and risks to personal safety are considerable. The global context in which WFP operates is rapidly changing which means the need for effective people management is becoming more important than ever before. In this context, WFP launched its People Strategy in November 2014. It articulates key strategic focus to build an engaged workforce, with the right skills, in the right roles enabling WFP to continue fulfilling its humanitarian response role while simultaneously building its capabilities to address the long-term goals of Zero Hunger.
Talented women are encouraged to apply
We look for applicants with the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian values. We commit to promote diversity, gender parity and equality between men and women.
WFP strives to build a work environment that is safe and respectful, and free of sexual harassment and abuse of authority. We believe in open communication, and every individual at WFP is treated with respect regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religious and political beliefs, etc.
In this pursuit, WFP assists women to balance work exigencies with personal and family responsibilities by providing an attractive compensation package, including fully paid maternity leave for 16 weeks, breastfeeding time off, and the possibility to avail of flexible working arrangements. Also, we endeavour to provide our staff, women, and men, with training and professional career development opportunities.
- Establish and maintain an organization capable of administering the provision of a safe, economical, efficient and effective air transportation service for the movement of passengers and cargo.
- Ensures that adequate administrative and logistics support arrangements are made for the execution of air operations;
- Ensures that all contractual provisions and obligations are satisfied and produces contract performance reports;
- Analyses voyage reports submitted by aircraft commanders after completion of tasks and provides advice to movements planners;
- Performs risk assessments prior to the tasking of aircraft and keeps all personnel informed of the actual and potential hazards and causes of accidents/incidents;
- Plans, arranges and coordinates the provision of technical and operational support for air transport service operations;
- Manages the budget, accounts for expenditure, prepares budget submissions and performance reports;
- Assist and advise Country Office in determining its air transport need and design a scheduled service that will cater to needs, to the extent possible, without compromising safety, efficiencies and economies;
· Periodically review and analyze route structures, aircraft payload, cargo traffic statistics to assess viability of routes and service improvements;
· Produce an annual financial summary on operational expenditure statement to monitor financial performance of the operation;
· Perform any other duties as formally requested by Chief Air Transport Officer;
· Ensures that an adequate and efficient safety organization is maintained throughout the designated Area of Operation;
- Establishes and maintains an effective and efficient flight operations management system for flight following and search and rescue;
- Liaise and advises the appropriate authorities on all safety matters and recommends remedial measures to counter actual or potential causes of aviation accidents/incidents;
- Monitors all techniques and aircraft types for potential safety hazards;
- Monitors action taken on all aircraft accidents/incidents and provides specialist knowledge inquiries when required;
- Records and provides statistical analysis of aircraft accidents/incidents; and
- Propagates safety publicity, education and dissemination of information.
- Other if required.
Standard minimum qualifications:
- This vacancy is open to qualified Sudanese Nationals Only.
- Advanced University degree in Aeronautics, Aviation Engineering, Airport Management or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses
- At least one to two years of progressively responsible work experience in Air Operations roles or for Air Movement roles is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Tact, courtesy and good communication skills to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals with different national and cultural backgrounds in a team environment.
- Proactive working style and ability to learn quickly.
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify or escalate problems requiring attention.
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word and SAP.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Holding an English language proficiency certification is an asset.
4Ps CORE ORGANIZATIONAL CAPABILITIES:
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
· Capability Name: Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level.
· Supply Chain Management and Optimization: Displays aptitude at monitoring and reporting on supply chain operations to enable teams to efficiently assess the performance and sustainability of current networks.
· Planning, Project & Resource Management: Supports the planning, forecasting & resource management efforts of own team by collecting data from diverse sources.
· Information Management & Reporting: Collates accurate and timely information and data to enable informed decision making on reporting within individual unit and consequently the greater humanitarian community.
· Service Provision, Aviation Contracting & Operational Execution: Supports the negotiation of contracts with third parties by collecting and collating necessary information to enable WFP to make informed decisions.
· Aviation Performance Measurement & Quality Control: Demonstrates commitment to carrying out individual activities related to aviation in compliance with WFP's operating standards to make safe and responsible decisions within own scope of work.
· Specialized Technical Knowledge in Aviation, Safety and Security: Uses aviation systems to monitor operational, safety and security issues in WFP’s aviation services such as airlift and airdrop operations, evacuation flights, and other chartered flight operations.
- Starting Date: 17.01.2019
- Closing Date: 31.01.2019
* Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
* WFP has zero tolerance with discrimination and does not discriminate to HIV/AIDS status.