Expert Developer Consultant
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
The Regional Bureau for Arab States (RBAS) based in New York serves as the headquarters for UNDP regional programmes and country offices in 17 Arab countries, with the 18th located in the state of Palestine.
Region-wide initiatives through the Regional Programme Division complement support to regional projects and covering the following focus areas: Fostering Knowledge for Development, Promoting Inclusive and Sustainable Growth, Strengthening Democratic Governance and Accountability, Promoting Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment and Strengthening Crisis Response and Promoting Social Cohesion.
The services required from the consultant shall meet the needs of any of the projects mentioned above in the context of consultancy and development of needed application software.
Duties and Responsibilities
The task of the expert developer is to assist the ICT coordinator in internally developing several required Information and communication Technology systems by the regional projects (e.g. Websites, databases, data visualizations, mobile application and mobile friendly systems, online knowledge products, newsletters, etc…). This will be done by assessing the received requirements from the project team, deciding on the most convenient information system to handle and present the data, and transform the design a functional program along with its related modules (such as backend, etc..) . This will entail a close coordination with the Management Support Unit and the Projects CTAs.
Under the overall supervision of the Results and Resource Management Specialist, and under the direct supervision and directions of the ICT Coordinator the Expert Developer shall perform the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Assist the ICT coordinator in the development and delivery of the Application/Software (website, database, mobile application, etc...).
- Read and understand the needed software project requirements received from the ICT coordinator, the management and the CTAs.
- Assist the ICT coordinator in drafting the project technical needs, and the needed terms of reference for any software procurement exercise.
- Review and understand the system detailed design Proposed by the ICT coordinator. Assist the ICT coordinator in proposing the most convenient and latest technology solutions.
- Assist the ICT coordinator in analyzing the existing materials including all software documents and evaluating the content technological needs.
- Analyze, evaluate and draft reports for any received software.
- Assist the ICT coordinator in creating the software wireframes.
- Develop, configure and install software databases.
- Develop, configure and install a mobile application using native language. Publish the mobile application on apple and android stores.
- Develop responsive web interfaces using latest technology needs.
- Develop advanced data visualization tools (for offline and online presence).
- Receive the final graphic web design from a web designer and perform all necessary steps to build the new software in order to achieve a final satisfactory working version.
- Develop responsive front end for a website/portal (in html and dynamic mode) as per the design received from a designer.
- Create HTML5 animation, interactivity of web components.
- Develop the CMS for the website/portal using divers’ languages.
- Develop Desktop applications using different technologies.
- Assist the ICT coordinator in the development of the software and any task related to the software development.
- Regularly report to the ICT coordinator on the process of the software development.
- Meeting the project Team/CTAs when requested.
- Experience in using Git repositories.
- The development and delivery of all necessary relevant software and source codes to insure a final working version of the software.
- Providing technical assessment, feedback and recommendations related to the progress of work done.
- Performing initial application testing/debugging, in particular unit testing and integration testing procedures in addition to regression testing whenever required.
- Performing the database design/modifications and implementation of the various database objects and functionalities that are to support the application development effort and requirements.
- Participating in the launching of the installation of the application and other related meetings as necessary.
- Preparing and submitting the required technical deliverables, in particular the detailed design reports, the application source codes, the test result log, and other documents and artifacts as detailed in the deliverables section below.
- Being ready to work on a testing host server to put the developed version and any new software changes on a daily basis.
- Performing all fixes/new components required by the ICT coordinator during the agreed duration.
- Training one staff designated by the ICT coordinator for the use of the final version.
- Perform any other tasks requested by the ICT coordinator and related to the development of the software.
- Read to learn any technology proposed by the ICT coordinator for a specific project and apply it in the development phase.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness, by modeling the UN/UNDP’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Time management and organizational skills, with the ability to undertake multiple tasks and deliver under pressure;
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills;
- Ability to work independently and achieve quality results with limited supervision and within tight schedules;
- Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills;
- Experience in reports production;
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner;
- Good teamwork and interpersonal skills;
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks and work under pressure;
- Excellent computer skills especially Word, Excel and Power Point.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Ability to strongly promote and build knowledge products;
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information and best practices from within and outside of UNDP;
- Demonstrates a strong capacity for innovation and creativity in providing strategic policy advice and direction.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or any related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
Years of Experience:
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in software-development.
- Previous Experience with United Nations system, UNDP experience is a plus
- Fluency in written and spoken English, French and Arabic is required.
- (Required) Full stack development proven experience.
- (Required) Proven Experience in Web programming languages, experience at least in one of the following is required: ASP.net, PHP, NodeJS and ColdFusion….
- (Required) Experience in database software, experience at least in one of the following is required: Access, MsSQL and MySQL. MongoDB is highly desirable.
- (Required) Experience with UX/UI testing of mobile application;
- (Required) Developing and deploying mobile applications to Android and Apple iOS platforms using Java, vendor deployment portals and tools, and development tools;
- (Required) Proven experience in developing responsive web designs. Experience in bootstrap is required.
- Proven experience in programming software back office.
- Experience in arts and graphics software (Adobe Photoshop or Corel Draw, Adobe animate) is required.
- Experience at least in one of the following design programs is required: (Visual Studio, Adobe Dreamweaver, HTML, DHTML, XML….).
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and Flash is desirable.
- Experienced in Network Programming is desirable.
- Experienced in Back-End Web development and MVC architecture is desirable.
- Experienced in Web frameworks is required.
- Experienced in Desktop Application development
- Experienced in the following languages are preferred C/C++, Objective-C, Swift, Python, C#, Java;
- Knowledge of open source CMS such as Drupal, Joomla, etc… are preferred;
- Well-developed interpersonal and relationship management skills;
- The individual is required to exhibit his or her commitment to this assignment with UNDP-RBAS;
- S/He shall perform tasks under the general guidance of the Resource Management Specialist and the direct supervision of the ICT Coordinator. The supervision will include approvals/acceptance of the outputs as identified in previous sections;
- The individual is expected to liaise and collaborate in the course of performing the work with other consultants, suppliers and UN colleagues;
- The individual is required to maintain close communication with the UNDP-RBAS on regular and needed basis at any period throughout the assignment in order to monitor progress. In the event of any delay, s/he will inform UNDP promptly so that decisions and remedial action may be taken accordingly. Delays that would affect the flow of the collaborative work and the delivery of outputs on schedule will lead to termination of contract; and
- Should UNDP deem it necessary, it reserves the right to commission additional inputs, reviews or revisions, as needed to ensure the quality and relevance of the work.
- It should be noted that the LTA does not create a financial obligation or commitment from UNDP, thereby non-exclusive, meaning it does not prohibit UNDP from entering into another framework agreement with another individual or entity. Financial commitments will only be established each time services are requested under the contract, through an agreed triggering action or document that signals the commencement of a given engagement.
DURATION OF THE WORK
The LTA duration is one year from contract signature date, to be extended for another one year based on the needs of the assignment, satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
This assignment will be home based. The delivery place of the software will be indicated by the ICT Coordinator in a timely manner.
If unforeseen travel outside the consultant home based city is requested by UNDP and not required by the Terms of References (ToR), such travel shall be covered by UNDP in line with applicable rules and regulations and upon prior written agreement. In such cases, the consultant shall receive living allowances not exceeding the United Nations (UN) Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) rate for such other location(s).
SCOPE OF PRICE PROPOSAL AND SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS
All proposals must be expressed in a fee per hour rate. Unit rate/hourly fees must be “all-inclusive”. Please note that the terms “all-inclusive” implies that all costs (professional fees, communications, consumables, etc.).
The contractor will be paid fee per hour amount based on Deliverables/Outputs requested over the LTA period, subject to the submission of Certification of Payment (CoP) duly certified and confirmation of satisfactory performance of achieved work (deliverables/outputs) for each call. The maximum number of hours for this LTA should not exceed 2088 hours/ year.
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications. Candidates that fail to submit the required information will not be considered.
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided by UNDP;
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references;
- Financial Proposal that indicates the hourly rate*2088hours/year* # of years. If you are employed by an organization/company/institution, and you expect your employer to charge a management fee in the process of releasing you to UNDP under Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA), you must indicate this at this point, and ensure that all such costs are duly incorporated in the financial proposal submitted to UNDP.
All necessary information including: Complete Procurement Notice, The Selection Criteria, and Annexes are found on the following link under Procurement http://procurement-notices.undp.org/
Interested candidates shall submit their CV/P11, Technical and Financial Proposals to the Job Advertisement Website Proc.firstname.lastname@example.org, not later than 02 February, 2019 The following documents are:
- Confirm availability and financial proposal;
- Brief description of why you consider yourself as the most suitable for the assignment;
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodologies:
Step I: Screening and desk review:
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology.
Applications will be first screened and only candidates meeting the following minimum requirements will progress to the pool for shortlisting:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Information Technology or related field;
- At least 7 years of practical experience in software application development;
- Experience in software development technologies (minimum 10 software has been developed).
- Fluency in written and spoken English, French and Arabic is required.
Shortlisted Candidates will be then assessed and scored against the following evaluation criteria.
Technical evaluation Criteria max 100 points (Weighted 70):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field (15 points);
- Master’s Degree in Information Technology or related field (5 points);
- 7 years of practical experience in software application development (10 points);
- Previous Experience with United Nations Development Progamme (20 points);
- Experience in developing and deploying applications (15 points);
- Experience with UX/UI testing. (10 points);
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation
For those offers considered in the financial evaluation, the lowest price offer will receive 30 points. The other offers will receive points in relation to the lowest offer, based on the following formula: (PI / Pn)* 30 where Pn is the financial offer being evaluated and Pl is the lowest financial offer received.
Step II: Final evaluation
The final evaluation will combine the scores of the desk review and the financial proposal with the following weights assigned to each:
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the cumulative analysis methodology (weighted scoring method), where the award of the contract will be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable; and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Technical Criteria weight: [70%]Financial Criteria weight: [30%]
Only Individual Consultants obtaining a minimum of 49 points (70%) on the Technical evaluation would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.