The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking for its
Operations Directorate - Global Partners Department - Africa - Public Sector Division
at its headquarters in Luxembourg:
(under ACP Traineeship Programme)
Duration: 6 months (with possible extension for a total of up to 12 months)
(fixed start date: 1st September 2019)
The Programme, set up with the support of the ACP-EC Partnership Agreement (the Cotonou Agreement*), is open to young nationals from the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries that ratified the Cotonou Agreement (*) and which are eligible to development financing and co-operation under the European Development Fund (EDF). (Angola - Antigua and Barbuda - Belize - Cape Verde - Comoros - Bahamas - Barbados - Benin - Botswana - Burkina Faso -Burundi - Cameroon - Central African Republic - Chad - Democratic Republic of Congo – Republic of Congo - Cook Islands - Cote d'Ivoire - Djibouti - Dominica - Dominican Republic - Eritrea - Ethiopia - Fiji - Gabon - Gambia - Ghana - Grenada - Republic of Guinea - Guinea-Bissau - Guyana - Haiti - Jamaica - Kenya - Kiribati - Lesotho - Liberia - Madagascar - Malawi - Mali - Marshall Islands - Mauritania - Mauritius - Micronesia - Mozambique - Namibia - Nauru - Niger - Nigeria - Niue -Palau - Papua New Guinea - Rwanda - St. Kitts and Nevis - St. Lucia - St. Vincent and the Grenadines - Solomon Islands - Samoa - Sao Tome and Principe - Senegal - Seychelles - Sierra Leone - Somalia - Suriname -Swaziland - Tanzania - Timor Leste - Togo - Tonga - Trinidad and Tobago - Tuvalu - Uganda - Vanuatu - Zambia – Zimbabwe).
Objective of the traineeship
The Africa Public Sector team is responsible for investment projects in the public sector in the region. The work environment is dynamic and diverse in terms of activities, ongoing operations and the stakeholders (internal and external) involved. Your objective is to provide support to the Regional Managers/ Loan Officers in the research for prospective projects, database updates, the execution of the contracts already signed and preparation of briefings, presentations, as well as thematic events/ workshops with the regional focus. Depending on your skills and your motivation, you can take up gradually more responsibilities and diversify your portfolio of tasks.
Ultimately, you will gain a good understanding of the Bank's role in the Region, its modus operandi and the impact.
Under the supervision of the Head of Division and senior colleagues, you will actively participate in the Division’s core activities. Your main tasks will be:
- Carrying out research, update databases and contributing to drafting reports and project documents;
- Preparing briefings, presentations and communication materials for different audiences, depending on the business needs to showcase the Bank's activities in the Region;
- Coordinating and following-up internally with the Bank's services and with clients on various operational, legal and technical matters, under the lead of the Loan Officer(s);
- Assisting in the disbursements, by ensuring that the conditions precedents of the Finance Contracts are followed-up and met on time;
- Helping out the operational staff in the preparation of thematic events and workshops0
Most importantly, we are looking for a Trainee who remains open to contribute with ideas, enthusiasm and expertise in ad-hoc tasks for the team.
Academic qualifications and professional skills
Final year of studies or university degree in Economics, Law, International Co-Operation or related studies;
- A first experience in a national or international organisation will be considered as an advantage;
- Good to advanced knowledge of MS Office software, in particular Word, Excel and Power Point;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English. Any other language, in particular French or Portuguese, will be an asset;
- Knowledge and interest in the economic and political context of the Africa region;
- International mind-set and ability to navigate in a multinational environment.
- Achievement Drive: continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behavior with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.
Please note that deadline for application is the 24th February 2019.
The ACP Internship Programme is open to students who are nationals of the ACP partner countries only. The goal of the Programme is to offer successful candidates an opportunity to improve their skills as well as the experience of working in an international multicultural environment.
*As initially signed in Cotonou on 23 June 2000, revised in Luxembourg on 25 June 2005 and revised in Ouagadougou on 22 June 2010.
More information on our Traineeship Programme and Provisions for In-service training can be consulted on our EIB website; http://www.eib.org/about/jobs/student-jobs/index.htm