Human Resources Officer, Field – Interim
medair global support office | Ecublens | Switzerland
Human Resources Officer, Field – Interim
Switzerland Global Support Office
To strengthen the Human Resources team during a transition period, ensuring business continues while the Human Resources function changes to a new operating model that aims to strengthen Medair’s mission to serve the most vulnerable in a growing organisation. In this temporary position you will be an important member of a diverse team with the responsibility of for managing all of the key HR processes for the internationally recruited staff who serve in Medair’s country programmes across the world.
Particular focus will initially be on being a HR partner to line managers and hiring managers, recruitment, employment administration and general staff support across the employee life cycle from on-boarding to off-boarding. In the transition to a new model the focus and emphasis of this role will shift to being a HR business partner with recruitment and employment administration being delegated to specialised teams.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff.
Workplace & Conditions
Medair Global Support Office, Ecublens, Switzerland with up to 30% field visits.
Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
14th February. Sort Term Contract, 6 months.
Key Activity Areas
Human Resources Management for Internationally Recruited Staff
- Identify staffing needs.
- Manage and co-ordinate the recruitment process for new / vacant positions. Includes active participation in the Medair Rehabilitation and Orientation Course (ROC), advertising the vacancy, drawing up the short-list, interviewing potential candidates and making the appointment.
- Provide pre-assignment programme specific information.
- Ensure international staff have a current employment contract in line with Swiss labour laws.
- Ensure relevant HR documentation is made available to staff.
- Ensure new staff receive a country / programme briefing and that a full handover is carried out.
- Support the CD and HRM in overseeing staff wellbeing, provide feedback as requested.
- Monitor performance management to ensure line managers conduct performance appraisals within the timeframes and that the necessary paperwork is completed according to the latest guideline.
- Support line management as necessary in disciplinary action and grievance procedures, ensure that the correct procedures are followed and records are kept in accordance with Medair guidelines.
- Organise appropriate debriefing, if required, at end of contract or following any critical incident.
- Ensure exit interviews are carried out and appropriate records are kept when individuals leave Medair.
- Ability to travel at least once per year to each assigned field project location to provide member care assessments, meet with senior staff members, and provide spiritual input. (up to 2 field trips per year)
- Training and team building when requested.
- Review of facilities and report any concerns or improvements that could benefit staff wellbeing.
Training and Development
- Facilitate staff training by working with line managers to identify training needs.
- Source in-house and external training opportunities. Maintain training records.
- Provide CD and HRM, advice, mentoring and coaching on performance management.
- Process visas or work permits when necessary. Communicate arrival information to the field team.
- Ensure the preparation, payment and record-keeping of staff salaries and / or allowances is done in a timely manner and in accordance with employment regulations.
- Ensure all staff have a personnel file containing all relevant documentation and information, according to Medair policy and any donor requirements.
- Ensure all staff HR files are archived according to Medair policy and any donor requirements.
- Maintain other work-related records and documentation according to programme procedures. This may include staff plans, attendance records, holidays, sickness, other absences, training records, insurance, pensions, other benefits, taxes, etc.
- HR Systems Development and Administration: Lead and manage assigned HR projects, track progress and deliver outputs on schedule. Optimise key administrative processes, policies, procedures and information systems in collaboration with the HR Manager.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional qualification/experience
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 1-2 years of relevant professional experience in administration / human resources position.
- Previous experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in the HR sector.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Diplomatic in interactions with local authorities.
- Able to develop, coach and support other team members.
- Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.