- Undertakes monitoring and reporting of UNCT results;
- Provides substantive support for the development and implementation of UN Country Team (UNCT) data and research strategies;
- Assists in the development and expansion of strategic research and data partnerships;
- Supports knowledge management and capacity development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads and coordinates inter-agency efforts on results and progress monitoring including reporting on the UNDAF, JWPs and Joint Programmes, including through UNINFO;
- Provides substantial support in preparing the UNDAF monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework and reporting results at country, regional and global levels;
- Provides substantial support to independent evaluations of UNDAFs as a key element of the UNDAF cycle, and other interagency work related to monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Serves as country focal point for country-level, regional and global M&E initiatives and networks.
- Assists in the design and implementation of the UNCT’s data and research strategy, in alignment with the Country Common Analysis (CCA), UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and SDGs and MAPS recommendations;
- Undertakes empirical analysis, data mining and visualization, as assigned, to assist the Resident Coordinator (RC), RC Office and UNCT, including results groups, in developing reports and working papers on sustainable development topics;
- Compiles and analyses information on the latest developments of the use of new types of data sources and tools (e.g. big data) for sustainable development;
- Provides substantive and analytical support to RC/UNCT and RC Office in preparing and positioning the UN to accelerate the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the country, including advising on indicator framework and sources of data as well as drafting reports and analytical and position papers;
- Contributes to UNCT research and development of data and research tools and methodologies at the country level;
- Keeps abreast of emerging development issues to optimize UNCT’s analytical capacity to respond to national priorities;
- Contributes substantively to the development and implementation of peer review and quality assurance mechanisms for UNCT’s research products;
- Administers UNINFO planning, monitoring and reporting system and provides substantive support to the development of the One UN Country Results Report;
- Administers the Assessment of Responsibilities and Competencies (ARC) or similar system.
- Supports the UN’s work with national data and statistical systems, facilitating engagement with national entities and data systems;
- Communicates and coordinates with existing partners and helps form new partnerships with UN agencies, academia, the private sector, and governmental agencies to further the use of data science for development.
- Communicates and coordinates with internal and external partners on data collection and project/research implementation;
- Supports the convening of key thinkers on sustainable development and 2030 Agenda to provide inputs on, advise and steer the UNCT’s research and data agenda.
- Assists in strengthening the UNCT’s partnerships with research institutions and similar entities across the UN system though concrete collaboration on areas of the 2030 agenda.
- Assists in the sharing of best practices within the UNCT and with UNCTs in the (sub)region and globally, based on a solid understanding of the incentives that people need to utilize knowledge;
- Provides substantive inputs for global, regional and local questionnaires, surveys, factsheets, dashboards and reports;
- Advocates for knowledge sharing, inspiring others within the RCO and UNCT to contribute their expertise through internal and external platforms and tools, working closely with colleagues at the regional level to ensure usable knowledge is shared between and applied by UNCTs;
- Assists in the identification of good practices and lessons learned at the different levels of the UN System (national, regional and global) and share findings with HQ, Regional and country colleagues so that best practices benefit UN’s work;
- Contributes to the UNCT’s exchange of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned with external partners;
- Provides substantive support for assigned thematic activities and knowledge-sharing forums and encourages others to participate;
- Contributes to knowledge sharing (including through training and peer exchange) amongst UN staff on issues related to UN strategic planning frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Draws upon other UN experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networking to provide contributions to strategic planning processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of sustainable development theories, concepts and approaches. Knowledge and experience of applying Results Based Management (RBM) principles. Ability to identify and develop sources for data collection. Ability to undertake research, analyze data, make recommendations and write draft reports on sustainable development issues. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, information management, statistics, sustainable development, social sciences, education or related area.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in providing strategic support to research and data analysis, knowledge management or project/programme management in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.
- Fluency in Georgian and English is required; Knowledge of another UN official language [e.g. Russian] is an advantage.
- Knowledge of UN system, UN Coordination and familiarity with UN Development System Reform is considered a major asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.