| || |
| || |
| || |
The SDG Knowledge Platform, Solevaka, forms part of a broader suite of activities under the Pacific SDG Partnership. The Partnership coordinates, delivers and streamlines support for SDG implementation at country and regional level.
Solevaka is the evolution of the Pacific Solution Exchange (PSE) hosted by UNDP in the Pacific since 2010. The PSE community has an 1800 strong membership and was originally developed to centre around the exchange of ideas and issues related to climate change and effective development.
The first phase of revitalisation, due for completion in 2018, has included:
- creating the strategies to facilitate an enabling environment for Solevaka; including leadership, governance, financing and partnerships
- designing technical specifications for the operation of Solevaka; including the digital development of a new platform, process documentation, M&E framework, communication and engagement strategies.
| || |
Duties and Responsibilities
| || |
The Research and Communications Officer will be responsible for the day to day administration and operation of the online platform and provide support to the [Community and Partnership Lead] for event management, advocacy and outreach. This will involve:
- Online Activities: Assisting COPs developing a calendar of activities and content for its online community, including relevant research, initiating discussions, organizing online activities (webinars, e-discussions, chats, etc.) and ensuring the production of appropriate knowledge products.
- Offline Events: Organizing and providing support and products for offline events, including meetings, panel discussions, workshops, etc.),
- Site Administration: Tasks may include monitoring membership requests, uploading content, moderating discussions if needed, and responding rapidly to members’ technical issues or contacting site maintenance when required.
- Content Creation: Identifying opportunities to produce, or facilitate the production of, stimulating written, audio, video, and graphic content. Coordinate with internal teams to produce new artwork and assets such as infographics, knowledge products etc.
- Social Media: Enhance and promote the community by maintaining a presence on social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to attract new and engage current members. Identify, follow and attract influencers (or potential champions).
- Engagement: Strategizing and implementing campaigns, contests, polls, surveys and other inclusive and interactive exercises to maintain growth and interest. Actively engage in online discussions by posting new multimedia content.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Documenting and sharing community engagement through evolving key performance indicators and metrics for measuring the community's success and its effectiveness. Deliver these reports and new learnings in regular presentations and through annual report.
| || |
| || |
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas;
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP Practice Areas;
- Develops deep knowledge in Practice Areas;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to implement communications and publications strategies;
- Ability to advocate effectively;
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Demonstrates excellent ability to write and communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism;
- Good knowledge of current development issues particularly those pertinent to UNDP’s Practice Areas. Ability to conceptualize issues and analyze data;
- Demonstrates strong IT skills.
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on impact and result for the client;
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP's Capacity to Advocate
- Promotes awareness of UNDP's centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials;
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities.
Integrating Behaviour Change Communications with UNDP’s programmatic work
- Able to develop communications strategies in diverse programme areas;
- Can work with modern tools such as Log-Frames to develop BCC-based communications strategies;
- Able to supervise the roll-out of BCC strategies through strategic partnerships;
- Able to develop toolkits that measure the impact of BCC activities.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP's Goals
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP's goals for a variety of audiences;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP's mandate and to support advocacy efforts.
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise:
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise;
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients.
| || |
Required Skills and Experience
| || |
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, journalism, communications or a relevant field.
- Minimum of 3 years substantive experience at the national or international level working in the area of research and communications;
- Demonstrated experience and ability to engage with different stakeholders and professional networks;
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills, ability to professionally present information, communicating technical information in a succinct, accessible and modern style;
- Relevant experience organizing and supporting participatory events such as workshops, presentations, learning sessions, and webinars
- Excellent knowledge of the Pacific region, and familiarity with Agenda 2030, and the SDGs;
- Experience managing, monitoring and producing content for social media channels;
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently;
- Knowledge of Pacific languages a plus;
- Experience with online engagement/collaboration platforms a plus.
| || |
| || |
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.