Technical Specialist, SAFIN1. Technical Advice
|Vacancy Announcement Number||1735|
|Date of Issue||28/01/2019|
|Deadline for Applications||28/02/2019|
|Organizational Unit||Global Eng., Part. & res. Mob.|
|Duration of Assignment||1 year|
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
The Smallholder and Agri-SME Finance and Investment Network (SAFIN) is a network of institutions working in the ecosystem for agri-SME finance, supported by a Secretariat/Coordination Team housed at IFAD and funded under a dedicated budget in the context of the External Relations and Governance (ERG) Department.
Post's organizational accountability
The Technical Specialist is a seasoned professional in the area of agri-SME finance and investment. S/He works in close collaboration with other SAFIN Coordination Team members and other SAFIN network partners and under the supervision of the SAFIN Senior Coordinator with the overall responsibility of providing quality technical expertise to inform the content of all activities undertaken by the Team on behalf of the SAFIN network, with particular focus on activities that relate to country level alignment of investments and innovation.
Key results expected / Major functional activities
The Technical Specialist provides sound technical advice to both the SAFIN Coordination Team and to partners in the areas identified in the SAFIN work plan to 2020, notably as concerns alignment of country-level activities, blended finance solutions for agri-SME-oriented institutions, and innovation (including innovations in technical assistance). Accountabilities may include:
a. Providing technical content and/or acting as a reviewer of SAFIN documents and initiatives, ensuring they reflect sound, state-of-the-art knowledge concerning agri-SME finance and investment;
b. Acting as operational point person for activities under the SAFIN work stream on alignment of investment, and in that context:
- Undertaking research to support country pilots of the SAFIN Investment Prospectus Framework;
- Facilitating the convening of partners around each country pilot;
- Convening or participating in all relevant meetings at IFAD Headquarters or in pilot countries.
c. Acting as focal point for the SAFIN work stream on innovation.
2. Knowledge Management
The Technical Specialist will play an active role in the design and implementation of the knowledge agenda of SAFIN. Specifically, S/He will:
- Design a learning agenda for the country-level alignment of investments workstream of SAFIN;
- Systematically gather knowledge from all country pilot activities to feed into the overall learning agenda of SAFIN and more specifically into the design of collaborative programming at country level;
- Draft knowledge products and policy briefs under the supervision of the SAFIN Coordinator and in dialogue with other SAFIN partners;
- Participate in technical knowledge events internal and external to the SAFIN network as panelist, discussant, or through other active roles.
3. Partnership Building and Resource Mobilization
The Technical Specialist will work in support to the SAFIN Senior Coordinator to mobilize and strengthen partnerships around the SAFIN network, with particular focus on partnerships in developing countries and among the agri-SME finance expert communities.
4. Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
The Technical Specialist will contribute to managing the monitoring, evaluation and reporting of technical activities and components of SAFIN activities, with particular focus on activities related to country piloting of the Investment Prospectus Framework and country-level collaborative activities.
5. Managerial Functions
The Technical Specialist is accountable for integrity, transparency, and equity in the management of IFAD resources. This includes:
- Evaluation of performance of consultants and staff under his/her purview.
- Resource Management by providing technical expertise for programme development, and Knowledge and Content Management by ensuring that (i) knowledge content within specialty/thematic area is continuously updated and available through the intranet, that (ii) best practices are continuously identified, documented and made available to clients and peers through the inter-/intra-net and that (iii) appropriate and up-to-date information and learning tools are available.
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicators
Key results expected from the work of the technical specialist will relate to demonstrated high quality of SAFIN activities with a specific technical content related to agri-SME finance, as validated by peers in the SAFIN network.
Representation / Work relationships
The Technical Specialist is expected to work in close dialogue with SAFIN partners and other stakeholders particularly at country level, in the context of SAFIN country pilots, as well as with other experts in the field of agri-SME finance that may be involved in specific SAFIN activities.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Personal influence (Level 1)
- Demonstrating Leadership: Personal leadership and attitude to change (Level 1)
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating: Continuously seeks to learn, shares knowledge and innovates (Level 1)
- Focusing on clients: Focuses on clients (Level 1)
- Problem solving and decision making: Demonstrates sound problem solving and decision making ability (Level 1)
- Managing time, resources and information: Manages own time, information and resources effectively (Level 1)
- Team Work: Contributes effectively to the team (Level 1)
- Communicating and negotiating: Communicates effectively: creates understanding between self and others (Level 1)
- Building relationships and partnerships: Builds and maintains effective working relationships (Level 1)
- Technical expertise in agri-SME finance and Partnership and platform facilitation skills.
Minimum recruitment qualifications
• Advanced university degree from an accredited institution in the areas of Finance, Economics, or Agricultural Development.
• At least five years progressively responsible experience in, and demonstrated understanding of, agri-SME and smallholder finance and investment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and working knowledge of at least one between French and Spanish.
Applicants should note that IFAD staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the President of IFAD, and they may be assigned by him/her to any of the activities of IFAD, including field assignments and/or rotation within IFAD.
In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful
Candidates may be required to take a written test and to deliver a presentation as well as participate in interviews.
This position is advertised as a Co-Terminus position linked to a specific, time-bound funding source.
IFAD is committed to achieving diversity and is seeking a balanced workforce from its Member States. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.