Associate Scientist, Agronomist (19-06)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Associate Scientist, Agronomist The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking an Associate Scientist, Agronomist to support GIZ- funded potato project to closely work with partners. The position will be based in Ethiopia. The selected candidate is expected to have experience in agricultural research, development, project and partner management.
About the role
The Associate Scientist will provide leadership and technical support to comply with the GIZ's project outcomes in the Ethiopian context. The successful candidate will conduct applied research with a focus on sustainable intensification of seed system under changing climatic conditions, food and market demands. The successful candidate in additional to CIP scientists will collaborate with a wide range of national and international stakeholders and have a significant role in capacity development activities to ensure sustainability of project achievements. Key responsibilities
• Manage the GIZ-funded potato project and ensure timely workplan development, proper planning, executing and reporting on a regular basis consistent with project objectives. • Develop partnerships and participate in resource mobilization strategies to strengthen potato activities in Ethiopia
• Ensure the sustainable local supply of a broadened range of climate-smart and disease- resistant varieties.
• Plan and execute the best strategy to increase efficiency in early potato seed generation production.
• Strengthen alliances with local partners such as farmers and farmer groups & cooperatives and develop Innovative partnerships and approaches with public and private institutions. • Work for the improvement of the capacity of decentralized farmer seed group cooperatives (FSGCs) in seed production.
• Strengthen and engage new partnerships across public and private sectors to strengthen alliances and mobilize resources.
• Develop new technologies to increase potato productivity scaled to resource-poor smallholder farmer.
• Ensure and work on the gender sensitive methods for access to technologies and knowledge. • Support the CIP-Ethiopia Country Manager in managing staff and other CIP potato projects • Support the efforts to create innovative alliances and partnerships with the private sector across the country to contribute to CIP’s mission
• Represent CIP at the country level with donor, and partners to support program development and growthWhat we are looking for?
• A PhD professional with relevant experience in agronomy, agricultural economics or to a closely related discipline
• At least 2 – 4 years of working experience involved in agricultural research and seed production.
• Work experience in partnership building and management. Experience with Ethiopian partners is a bonus.
• Strong understanding of integrating gender and other social equity considerations into project design and delivery.
• Financial management skills and metrics-based management accountability expertise is required.
• Excellent writing skills – able to develop meaningful reports and proposals • Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa is essential
• Willingness to travel frequently and work under field conditions
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of one Ethiopian language is a bonus. Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background, and is a recent World Food Price Winner and awarded with the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.
• CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Roots, Tubers and Bananas.
What are we offering?
• Good working environment.
• Great career opportunity in an international organization.
• Salary will be internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
• Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
• Attractive retirement plan.
• A three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal subject to availability of funds. • Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: https://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on February 25 , 2019 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short- listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply.