Partnerships and Development Finance Specialist
Suva (Fiji )
The UN Resident Coordinator (RC) provides leadership to the Pacific Joint UN Country Team and the UN’s programming work, as outlined in the UN Pacific Strategy, in support of national priorities. The RC has a team composed of national and international staff, forming the RC Office (RCO), and is based in Suva (Fiji). The RC oversees 10 Pacific Small Island Developing States (Pacific SIDS or PSIDS), namely Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu. Twenty-six resident and non-resident UN entities are signatories to the UNPS and members of The Pacific Joint UN Country Team.
The RCO fulfils ten core coordination functions, namely strategic analysis and planning; oversight of the UN country programming cycle; representation of and support of UN Secretariat and UN agencies (incl. non-resident agencies); support to national coordination systems and processes; development and management of shared operational support services; crisis management preparedness and response; external communication and advocacy; human rights and development; joint resource mobilisation and fund management; and general UNCT oversight and coordination.
The position as Partnerships and Development Finance Specialist includes the following key functions:
- Support strategic Planning for and Coordination of UNCT Partnerships;
- Support joint resource mobilization for the UNDAF;
- Provide advice on Financing for SDG Acceleration;
- Knowledge Generation and Management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support to Strategic Planning and Coordination of UN Partnerships:
- Lead the development and implementation of the UN Partnership Strategy in alignment with and support of the UN Development Assistance Framework/UN Pacific Strategy;
- Review and refine the strategy at regular intervals to harness new emerging opportunities, to anticipate changes to the internal direction and external environment, and to make mid term adjustments;
- Support the RC and Pacific UNCT in identifying risks and opportunities related with specific partnerships, and suggest mitigation measures as relevant
- In accordance with UN regulations and procedures, provide advice on due diligence processes of potential investment and partnership opportunities;
- Provide strategic guidance and support to RC and the Pacific UNCT to develop and implement locally tailored partnerships and resource mobilization strategies and initiatives;
- Influence the debate with partners to improve development assistance policies and practice, for example through analysis of UN financial data, Common Budgetary Framework details and national development budgets;
- Liaise and coordinate with UN entities at country, regional and HQ levels, to help package and define UN's case(s) for support and differentiated value proposition to engage partners, both traditional and non-traditional.
Support joint resource mobilization for the UNDAF
- Provide strategic guidance and support to RC/UNCT to develop and implement locally tailored resource mobilization strategies and initiatives, and identify appropriate data and benchmarks to measure progress and success;
- Manage and provide oversight of all existing resource mobilization partnerships and relationships, including high net worth individuals;
- Supports design, formulation, and implementation, monitoring and reporting of joint programmes, and joint programming processes amongst UN entities with a view for joint resource mobilization;
- Supporting the production and distribution of marketing materials to raise awareness about the UN's SDG investment capacity;
- In close collaboration with the UN Communications Group, establish and build the UN brand via events, media and public relations opportunities targeted to the diverse partners.
Financing for SDG Acceleration:
- In alignment with the CCA/UNDAF and MAPS (Mainstreaming, Acceleration and Policy Support) and similar processes, provide technical and advisory support on Financing for Development options, instruments, modalities to the RC and the UNCT;
- Analyze trends and provide advisory services on new and innovative financing mechanisms for development and SDG acceleration;
- Develop briefing papers and discussion points on issues related to financing for development for consideration by RC/UNCT;
- Facilitate engagement with, and guide and support external stakeholders -including national government, international financial institutions and others - on Financing for SDG acceleration;
- Design and execute innovative proposals to strengthen the UNCT's engagement and reputation, and to generate greater financial resources in support of the SDGs;
- Support the establishment and management of the country-based SDG Fund (where relevant).
Knowledge Generation and Management:
- Manage the development, maintenance and sharing of knowledge and intelligence, to ensure RC and Pacific UNCT are informed and positioned to effectively generate and harness opportunities to meet its resource mobilization targets;
- Contribute to relevant Knowledge Networks and Communities of Practice at national, regional and global levels.
- Strengthen the capacity of the UNCT to mainstream and promote SDG investment partnerships;
- Provide advice in discovery, evaluation and selection of pipeline opportunities at the sourcing and origination stages.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Creates effective advocacy strategies;
- Contributes to the elaboration of advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritizing audiences and communication means;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Identifies country needs and strategies using a fact-based approach;
- Sets performance standards, monitors progress and intervenes at an early stage to ensure results are in accordance with agreed-upon quality and timeframes and reports on it;
- Makes use of a variety of resources based on UN/UNCT priorities to achieve results, such as cross-functional teams, secondments and developmental assignments, and collaborative funding approaches;
- Oversees and documents the process of strategy formulation for programmes at country level.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UN/UNCT’s strategic agenda;
- Sensitizes UN Partners, donors and other regional and multilateral organizations to the UN/UNCT’s strategic agenda, identifying areas for joint efforts;
- Develops positive ties with civil society to build/strengthen UN/UNCT’s mandate;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Effectively attentive to programmatic synergies in inter-agency meetings.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Generates for regional and innovative ideas and effective solutions to problems;
- Looks at experience critically, drawing lessons, and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Documents successes and uses them to project a positive image.
- Develops detailed knowledge and understanding of key donors, their priorities and areas of interest and adapts content and approach of resource mobilization activities to their requirements;
- Builds and maintains relationships with donors demonstrating professionalism in providing advice and information on UN activities and sensitivity to donor concerns.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff;
- Continues to seeks new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UN’s Goals
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective.
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents;
- Building support and political acumen;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective teams;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field.
5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Knowledge about the UN and RC systems would be an advantage. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in English and the working language of the duty station.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.