Digital Communications Expert (IRH)
UNDP’s Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH) is UNDP’s advisory hub for the Europe and Central Asia. The hub is responsible for providing policy and programme support to UNDP’s development activities in the region. The Hub is tasked with promoting the Sustainable Development Goals - otherwise known as the Global Goals, seventeen anti-poverty targets that the world committed to achieving by 2030. The goals are closely linked to UNDP’s Strategic Plan focus areas, including sustainable development, democratic governance and peacebuilding, and climate and disaster resilience.The Hub’s Communications team is tasked with supporting UNDP’s positioning and next generation offering in the region and globally; supporting donor visibility, resource mobilization and partnerships; raising awareness of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) among key constituencies; and increasing the effectiveness of UNDP’s communication effort in the region through training and capacity-building. The Hub uses multiple communication channels to reach its key audiences. These include the regional website and associated platforms, social media channels and actual events. It uses a multiplicity of formats, from multimedia products to video, infographics and slideshows, illustrations and comics.The Istanbul communications team trains and supports various Istanbul-based units and close to 20 Country Offices in the region. The Hub organizes multiple events throughout the year, including the Istanbul Innovation Days and the Istanbul Development Dialogues. The Hub is also working alongside the European Commission to produce and expand the Kapuscinski development lectures, with up to 10 planned lectures in the coming year. To support these priorities, UNDP is looking for an online communications expert who will create multimedia content, support the online marketing of events, campaigns and content throughout the year, while at the same time training various units and country offices in online communications.The communications consultant will provide technical expertise to ensure the production, editing, uploading and successful dissemination of news, blogs and stories from Istanbul and Country Offices for the UNDP website, and social media (Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Instagram, LinkedIn), and will help to create, process and disseminate multimedia products such as videos, photo essays and text-based pieces.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will be responsible for the following and report to the certifying officers on a monthly basis:
- Support technically the daily management and marketing of the website, following the realignment of the UNDP Regional website with UNDP’s new format, and wherever necessary, help further realign the website with the 2018-2021 Strategic Plan;
- Help inform and boost UNDP Europe and CIS presence on social media channels, and use marketing expertise to track web and social media statistics and prepare monthly reports. Create daily content updates relating to UNDP’s core areas of expertise, marketed and shared through social media platforms and partners’ online channels;
- Wherever requested, support events through online outreach and web management. These include the Kapuscinski Development Lectures (management of website and social media platforms), the Istanbul Development Dialogues, the Columbia Global Center-UNDP film series, the Istanbul Innovation Days and other international days and commemorations;
- Support the creation of a regional SDG campaign that will conduct advocacy around the Sustainable Development Goals; lead technical production of a periodic newsletter on the SDGs, and contribute expertise towards other regional SDG communication products;
- Provide technical capacity-building support as needed, with a view to implementing the regional communications plan; support press trips and media outreach and assist Country Offices with training and mentoring to boost the implementation of the plan. Conduct in-country trainings wherever applicable and assistance provided for Community of Practice trainings.
- Support media outreach by exploring and reaching out to new media with UNDP stories and speakers.
- Prepare news and opinion pieces available on the regional website with relevant and timely information and Country Office websites are aligning with Strategic Plan (2018-21)
Outputs and deliverables:
The consultant will carry out the below on-going responsibilities and report to the certifying officers on a monthly basis. Technical expertise will guarantee visibility around 12 specific moments:
- Output 1 (deadline: 30 April 2019) –Identify, gather, edit and publish at least three multimedia stories for online SDG campaign
- Output 2 (deadline: 31 May 2019) – Edit at least three stories, blogs or news pieces on Leave No One Behind
- Output 3 (deadline: 30 June 2019 – Ensure World Environment Day receives attention with online audiences through at least 4 online posts on social media and 2 on regional websites.
- Output 4 (deadline: 31 July 2019) – Preparation and marketing of at least two SDG stories in the run-up to the High-Level Political Forum in New York
- Output 5 (deadline: 31 August 2019) – Support international youth day with posts on web, social media and ensure at least one quarter of country office accounts take part in the messaging and hashtag
- Output 6 (deadline: 30 September 2019) – Broadcast and advertise UNDP’s contribution to the Secretary-General’s climate summit in New York by marketing at least one multimedia story sourced from a country office in the region
- Output 7 (deadline: 31 October 2019) – Provide expertise for online campaign on the occasion of International Day for the eradication of poverty, delivering at least one story to headquarters to represent the region
- Output 8 (deadline: 30 November 2019) – Work with gender on 16 Days Campaign for the prevention of violence against women, producing 2 to 3 social media posts and gather two climate stories for COP26 summit
- Output 9 (deadline: 31 December 2019) – Contribute to increasing attention around UNDP’s positioning in the region on the occasion of Human Rights Day, through a campaign carried out with the Governance team.
Payments will be made on a monthly basis, based on the monthly delivery report and only upon confirmation of the certifying officer/UNDP on delivering on the contract obligations in a satisfactory manner.
- Monthly Progress Report 1 - 1 month after contract signature - 11%
- Monthly Progress Report 2 - 2 months after contract signature - 11%
- Monthly Progress Report 3 - 3 months after contract signature - 11%
- Monthly Progress Report 4 - 4 months after contract signature - 11%
- Monthly Progress Report 5 - 5 months after contract signature - 11%
- Monthly Progress Report 6 - 6 months after contract signature - 11%
- Monthly Progress Report 7 - 7 months after contract signature - 11%
- Monthly Progress Report 8 - 8 months after contract signature - 11%
- Monthly Progress Report 9 - 9 months after contract signature - 12%
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work in a team
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelors’ Degree required in communications and design, development studies, political science or international relations.
- At least five years of experience working with web-based applications and HTML, managing social media, video and photo editing and design software
- At least three years of experience producing video content from filming to editing and dissemination. 360 video experience an additional asset.
- At least five years of experience managing media projects,
- At least three years of experience of web marketing and analytics.
- At least three years of progressive experience in developing, editing content as a journalist or content manager.
- At least five years of experience with implementing, campaigning and advocacy, either as part of an international organization or within the private sector.
- Experience with creating and evaluating online strategies with clear and measurable objectives.
- Experience doing communication relating to the Europe and CIS region a plus.
- Previous experience with development organizations (incl. United Nations) is a plus.
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills in English.
Evaluation of Applicants
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on a cumulative analysis taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications and financial proposal.The award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and b) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical (P11/CV desk reviews and interviews) and financial criteria specific to the solicitation. Only candidates who will get at least 70% of points in the desk review (criteria A-E) will be further considered for interviews. Only candidates who will get at least 70% in technical evaluation (Criteria A-G) will be considered for financial evaluation.Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation – max. 35 points:
- Criteria A – max points: 5 - desk review - Experience working with web-based applications, web marketing and analytics
- Criteria B – max points: 5 - desk review - Experience producing video content from filming to editing and dissemination
- Criteria C – max points: 3 - desk review - Experience working with development organizations and communications work within ECIS
- Criteria D – max points: 7 - desk review - Experience in developing, editing content, based on writing samples
- Criteria E – max points: 5 - desk review - Methodology
- Criteria F – max 5 points - interviews - Experience creating and managing advocacy campaigns
- Criteria G – max 5 points - interviews - Experience with creating and evaluating online strategies with clear and measurable objectives
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation – max 15 pointsApplication procedures
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via this website. The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position and a brief methodology on how you will approach and conduct the work . Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
- Filled P11 form or CV including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees (blank form can be downloaded from http://www.eurasia.undp.org/content/dam/rbec/docs/P11_modified_for_SCs_and_ICs.doc);
- Samples of your previous work - at least 3 relevant written samples and 3 videos you produced
- Offeror’s Letter (blank template can be downloaded from https://bit.ly/2KO1okS)
- Financial Proposal* in USD - specifying a total lump sum amount for the tasks specified in this announcement. The financial proposal shall include breakdown consisting of a) a total amount for professional fee for tasks specified in this announcement and b) travel costs to join the duty station/repatriation travel.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials. Please group all your documents into one (1) single PDF attachment as the system only allows upload of one document.
*Please note that the financial proposal is all-inclusive and shall take into account various expenses incurred by the consultant/contractor during the contract period (e.g. fee, health insurance, vaccination, personal security needs and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services...). Payments will be made only upon confirmation of UNDP on delivering on the contract obligations in a satisfactory manner. Individual Consultants are responsible for ensuring they have vaccinations/inoculations when travelling to certain countries, as designated by the UN Medical Director. Consultants are also required to comply with the UN security directives set forth under dss.un.orgGeneral Terms and conditions as well as other related documents can be found under: http://on.undp.org/t7fJs.