Senior Programme Officer - Brussels
Under its 2018-2022 Strategy, International IDEA will support the integrity of processes and institutions of political participation and representation through strengthening the capacity of formal institutions of political participation and representation, such as parliaments and political parties. In this regard, International IDEA and the European Union (EU) have entered into an Agreement to implement the INTER PARES | Parliaments in Partnership, EU Global Project to Strengthen the Capacity of Parliaments. The Global Project aims to strengthen representative and inclusive democracy through support for the effective functioning of parliaments in partner countries, by enhancing their legislative, oversight, representative, budgetary and administrative functions. The Global Project focuses both on elected Members of Parliament (MPs), particularly in their capacity as members of parliamentary committees and on the staff of parliaments' secretariats.
The Project will be implemented through the following three main components:
i) Peer-to-peer parliamentary strengthening operations between selected parliaments from partner countries and parliaments from European Union Member States (EU MS);
ii) Promotion of sustainable inter-parliamentary cooperation and parliamentary support approaches, with a focus on selected thematic issues; and
iii) Production of comparative research and knowledge and of practical and innovative tools on parliamentary matters and support approaches. The Senior Programme Officer will be responsible for knowledge management, specifically managing the development and production of knowledge resources and tools, parliamentary needs assessments, researching, knowledge sharing, e-learning tools and products, communication and visibility promotion and monitoring and evaluation of the Global Project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the overall design, development and production of the project’s knowledge resources and tools such as online digital resource/repository, e-learning tools, databases, parliamentary primers, thematic briefs and publications; conceptualises and provides technical expertise;
- Coordinates the development of parliamentary needs assessments, baseline mapping and programming;
- Provides substantive inputs in the preparation of the project’s progress reports and presentations to the EU and International IDEA;
- Manages the project Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and the designated evaluator in accordance with the M&E plan outlined in the project document, responding to both EU needs and aligned with International IDEA’s M&E results framework;
- Contributes to the visibility of the project in line with the Communication and Visibility Plan;
- Supports the adherence to both EU and International IDEA regulations and procedures in the project implementation and reporting;
- Liaises and works in cooperation and coordination with other areas of work within International IDEA’s Global and Regional Programmes, as well as with the EU, Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) and other relevant partners and stakeholders;
- Supports the overall project risk management and actively manages risk as outlined in the project document’s risk analysis and mitigation measures in line with organisational policies and procedures;
- Supports project planning and implementation and carries out other duties as assigned by the Head of Programme.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through post-graduate academic achievements, excellent skills and significant experience in their field;
- Provides high-quality contributions to assigned projects, including relevant policy analysis and assessments;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Acts as a model and mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Had the capacity to work with minimum supervision and in collaboration with other entities of the Institute, the European Commission, external partners and stakeholders;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in implementing projects under INTER PARES;
- Accountable to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional and project guidelines;
- Integrates a rights-based approach as well as a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Head of Programme INTER PARES
- Has in-depth knowledge and extensive work experience in own discipline, combined with a broad knowledge of related disciplines within the function, in order to approach activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Good working knowledge and practical experience in parliamentary support and development, working with members of parliaments, parliamentary secretariats and committees;
- Expertise in the development of parliamentary resources and tools and programming;
- Knowledge of parliamentary needs assessments methodologies and approaches for parliamentary support;
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Is active in the search for information, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- Some people management responsibility over permanent staff is expected;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives and analyse situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Strong analytical, writing and communication skills, including ability to produce high quality reports and knowledge products/tools;
- Excellent presentation skills; including public speaking and design skills (for slide-decks)
- Strong diplomatic skills and ability to engage with high level EU Officials, Parliament Officials, international community and other key stakeholders;
- Liaises regularly with internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Excellent knowledge in written and oral English is required; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) and/or official EU language would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- University Degree in social / political sciences, law or other relevant discipline;
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ of relevant experience in parliamentary support is essential.
- A minimum of four (4) years’ experience in the development and production of various knowledge resources and tools for parliaments and or democracy and governance is required;
- Excellent understanding of programming, monitoring and evaluation approaches and procedures is essential;
- Relevant experience from an international and/or regional organization in the work of democracy assistance would be considered an asset;
- Knowledge and working experience on mainstreaming gender in governance and democracy and parliamentary support would be considered an advantage;
- Experience with EC funded projects, as well as familiarity with EU processes and systems considered advantageous.
Terms of Contract
- International Post
- Two (2) year fixed-term appointment
- Salary €5 653 NET per month plus benefits
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted no later than 19 February 2019. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality
Send application Print