Senior Finance and Administrative Officer- Brussels
Under its 2018-2022 Strategy, International IDEA will support the integrity of processes and institutions of political participation and representation through strengthening the capacity of formal institutions of political participation and representation, such as parliaments and political parties. In this regard, International IDEA and the European Union (EU) have entered into an Agreement to implement the INTER PARES | Parliaments in Partnership, EU Global Project to Strengthen the Capacity of Parliaments. The Global Project aims to strengthen representative and inclusive democracy through support for the effective functioning of parliaments in partner countries, by enhancing their legislative, oversight, representative, budgetary and administrative functions. The Global Project focuses both on elected Members of Parliament (MPs), particularly in their capacity as members of parliamentary committees and on the staff of parliaments' secretariats.
The Project will be implemented through the following three main components:
i) Peer-to-peer parliamentary strengthening operations between selected parliaments from partner countries and parliaments from European Union Member States (EU MS);
ii) Promotion of sustainable inter-parliamentary cooperation and parliamentary support approaches, with a focus on selected thematic issues; and
iii) Production of comparative research and knowledge and of practical and innovative tools on parliamentary matters and support approaches. The Senior Programme Officer will be responsible for knowledge management, specifically managing the development and production of knowledge resources and tools, parliamentary needs assessments, researching, knowledge sharing, e-learning tools and products, communication and visibility promotion and monitoring and evaluation of the Global Project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Is responsible for the daily financial management of the project including review of budgets, forecasts and tracking of expenditures, as well as preparing the financial reports to the European Commission;
- Prepares and supports the administration and management of contracts and agreements for service providers and/or partner organizations, and monitors/manages performance according to agreed deliverables;
- Prepares financial projections, statements and expenditure reports as required;
- Provides budget management support to the project’s internal and external stakeholders and partners through monthly project budget reviews;
- Ensures that all transactions are properly recorded in the ERP system;
- Provides support and guidance to project team on preparation and revision of project/activity budgets in conformity with the applicable policies and procedures;
- Prepares project expenditure reports and analysis and assists project managers in tracking financial process of the project as required;
- Ensures Project team are aware of grant conditions and reporting requirements;
- Monitors cash flows and ensure adequate cash levels are maintained;
- Prepares monthly financial reports and monthly reconciliation of accounts as applicable;
- Manages grant including the monitoring of grant budgets against actual expenditure;
- Monitors adherence to donor financial and reporting requirements, within the framework of International IDEA and donor’s policies and procedures, and prepares financial reports to donors as required;
- Acts as a focal point of administration, finance, procurement and human resources services, and works in close collaboration with International IDEA´s Headquarters;
- Maintains filing and archiving systems of administrative and financial documents and records;
- Trains new project staff on all applicable financial, administrative and procurement policies and procedures.
- Is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Head of Programme
- Has in-depth knowledge in own discipline and good understanding of related disciplines to be able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Collaborates with internal Project Managers and external donor finance functions to align financial and technical reporting to ensure the integrity of the project/programme;
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her activities;
- Has a good understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented – which may imply field experience at some point;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management in past experiences.
- No people management responsibility over permanent staff;
- Acts as a model and resource for more junior colleagues;
- May assume project management responsibilities.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the financial development and delivery of projects and programmes;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her portfolio; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Translates financial concepts to, and effectively collaborates with colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy and build consensus.
Education and Experience
- University degree in financial management, business management or other related discipline;
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in project/programme management and design, administration, grant management, including experience in budgeting, costing, monitoring and implementation.
- Experience working with EU grants considered advantageous;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage.
Terms of Contract
- International Post
- Two (2) year fixed-term appointment
- Salary €4 441 NET per month plus benefits
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted no later than 19 February 2019. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Send application Print