Associate Programme Officer - Brussels
Under its 2018-2022 Strategy, International IDEA will support the integrity of processes and institutions of political participation and representation through strengthening the capacity of formal institutions of political participation and representation, such as parliaments and political parties. In this regard, International IDEA and the European Union (EU) have entered into an Agreement to implement the INTER PARES | Parliaments in Partnership, EU Global Project to Strengthen the Capacity of Parliaments. The Global Project aims to strengthen representative and inclusive democracy through support for the effective functioning of parliaments in partner countries, by enhancing their legislative, oversight, representative, budgetary and administrative functions. The Global Project focuses both on elected Members of Parliament (MPs), particularly in their capacity as members of parliamentary committees and on the staff of parliaments' secretariats.
The Project will be implemented through the following three main components:
i) Peer-to-peer parliamentary strengthening operations between selected parliaments from partner countries and parliaments from European Union Member States (EU MS).
ii) Promotion of sustainable inter-parliamentary cooperation and parliamentary support approaches, with a focus on selected thematic issues; and
iii) Production of comparative research and knowledge and of practical and innovative tools on parliamentary matters and support approaches. The Head of INTER PARES | Parliaments in Partnership will be responsible for providing strategic leadership and management of the overall planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting, communication and visibility of the Global Project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the development and implementation of project objectives, such as base-line studies, peer-to-peer exchange operations, knowledge products and reports;
- Contributes to the development of information and knowledge materials related to the project;
- Assists with the implementation of activities (e.g. agenda, background notes, documentation, briefs, presentations, comparative examples, etc.)
- Supports the organization and follow-up of project events, conferences, internal and external meetings, including communication and logistical related activities;
- Supports the facilitation of workshops and trainings;
- Drafts activity and progress reports;
- Assists with the dissemination of project outputs;
- Supports the establishment and maintenance of networks and partnership initiatives; maintains contacts with stakeholders on different levels;
- Assists with regular briefings on and maintenance of online project repository;
- Supports the project’s communication and outreach activities through drafting of online content, including social media, in collaboration with communication/IT consultants and in line with the communication and visibility plan;
- Supports the documentation of the project (testimonials, facts and figures, images) for future reporting purposes;
- Provides support to other team-members as requested
- Requires good knowledge, excellent skills and initial experience in democracy development, parliamentary work and project management;
- Will contribute to assigned projects in different aspects of the project life cycle; will draft various documents (briefs, reports, concept notes, info-notes etc.) and will support the projects vis-à-vis all internal and external stakeholders;
- Driven and motivated, can work independently and within a small team, to produce high-quality deliverables in a timely manner
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other stakeholders and partners in the projects as required; shows initiative;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a rights-based approach as well as a gender perspective in all activities;
- Has the intellectual ability to switch context and keep tight deadlines if necessary;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Head of Programme
- Has good knowledge in own discipline and some understanding of related disciplines to be able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented – which may imply field/international experience at some point;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- Contributes to a positive work environment
- No direct people management responsibility.
- Acts as a role-model for interns
- Innovative and problem-solving mind-set;
- Is able to solve problems of varying degrees of complexity; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has an impact on the programme development and delivery.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Skilled communicator, is able to draft a variety of written materials in a timely manner (including succinct briefs, online material as well as longer reports and analysis)
- Fluency in English required; Knowledge of French, German or other EU language would be an advantage.
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Motivated, positive, enthusiastic, thrives in and can adapt to an international environment;
- University degree (or equivalent) in social science, political sciences, law, international development or other relevant discipline;
- Around 3 years of experience in democratic governance, including substantial internship(s);
- Experience of working on EU-projects and/or with national parliaments, as well as familiarity with EU processes and systems considered an advantage.
Terms of Contract
- Local Post
- Two (2) year fixed-term appointment
- Salary €3 474 gross per month plus benefits
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted no later than 19 February 2019. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Please apply directly by pressing the Send Application button.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Send application Print