PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
Reports to (role)
- Deputy Head of Delegation / Head of Public Relations
Public Relations Officer in Africa leads in devising and implementing proactive media outreach strategies for the ICRC's humanitarian operations in the region and thematic issues, with a particular focus on francophone settings and media. S/he coordinates messages and drives media plans in order to enhance and manage the ICRC´s public profile. S/he contributes to implementing its public engagement and digital strategies.
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
- Acts as a spokesperson, providing information on the ICRC´s activities and humanitarian concerns. S/he is the main francophone spokesperson for the region.
- Works with other communication staff based in Dakar to map, prioritize and build media contacts. Supports the key delegations when necessary, including through country visits.
- Drafts speaking points, news releases, defensive lines and other products for traditional media, and contributes to digital content.
- Supports (or leads) the global media management of crises, working with the operational region and digital communication team at headquarters and regional communication staff and global reach delegations in the field.
- Provides (or organizes) interviews, quotes and briefings for journalists on operations and issues of concern, ensuring that the ICRC´s public position is known and understood.
- Pitches story ideas, content and interviews, and engages with key media to develop longer-term content partnerships (either directly or with global reach delegations).
- Works with the digital communication team at headquarters and regional communication centres to develop media/digital campaigns around key thematic issues and contexts.
- Sets up and manages communication opportunities for senior ICRC leaders to profile operations (e.g. during field visits to operational delegations).
- Ensures smooth coordination of public communication issues with all International Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement components, especially during crises and joint Movement response.
People management responsibilities
Scope & Impact
- Geographic remit: regional, in particular covering Mali, Dakar regional, Abidjan regional, Guinea regional, Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, as well as Madagascar delegations. Supports the regional PRO in Geneva with emergencies in other delegations, such as CAR, DRC, the Lake Chad Basin and Libya as needed.
- Strategic impact: contributes to regional communication strategies. Identifies and manages risks and positions the ICRC in Africa (particularly in francophone Africa, but not only). Global impact of public communication is high, including on reputation, security and fundraising.
- Internally, interacts with the Digital Communication Unit, the Trends, Reputation, Analysis and Knowledge Unit, the Office of the Head of the Public Communication Division, the Resource Mobilization Division, the Department of Operations and other departments, divisions and units at headquarters, and with delegations in the field.
- Externally, interacts with media, public relations agencies, donors, humanitarian actors, Movement members, and public relations representatives of the authorities.
Certifications / Education required
- University degree in a relevant discipline such as political science, international relations, journalism, communication management or public relations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in French. Very good working knowledge of English.
- Languages spoken in Africa as well as Arabic, German, Russian and/or Spanish an asset.
- Computer skills (competence in MS Office and other software); familiarity with digital communication tools.
Professional Experience required
- Minimum 8 years' work experience in media relations and content generation (inside or outside the ICRC), at least 2 years in Africa.
- ICRC experience an asset.
- Excellent public communication skills and sound knowledge of the media environment in French-speaking Africa.
- Proven capacity to work in a stressful environment and to tight deadlines.