Junior Professional Officer (SECAP, OPR) *Netherlands
|Vacancy Announcement Number||1738|
|Date of Issue||30/01/2019|
|Deadline for Applications||28/02/2019|
|Duration of Assignment||One year fixed term renewable|
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
Post's organizational accountability
The Programme Management Department (PMD) is responsible for the overall lending programme of the Fund, and is composed of five Regional Divisions, and the Operational Policy and Results Division. IFAD works on the nexus of poverty, food, environment, and climate change issues. IFAD's response to these challenges is reflected in its Strategic Framework (2016-25), and the Social, Environmental and Climate Assessment Procedures.
IFAD approved its Social, Environmental and Climate Assessment Procedures which came into effect on 1 January 2015. SECAP defines an operational framework for integrating social, environment, and climate aspects into IFAD operations. These procedures apply to all IFAD normative work (Country Strategic Opportunity Programme - COSOPs) and field programmes and projects.
The Social, Environmental and Climate Assessment Procedures (SECAP) compliance function (hereafter referred to as the Function) has been established in the new OPR in PMD. The Function demonstrates IFAD’s commitment to ensuring that its operations conform to sound environmental and social standards (ESS) as laid out in SECAP and other relevant policies and strategies. (see attached appendix 1 and 2). Additionally, the Function will strengthen the quality of projects, contribute to better impact and results on the ground and long-term development impact and sustainability. The challenge for the Function is to ensure that its investments are compliant with SECAP.
Position Title of Overall Supervisor: Lead Technical Specialist – SECAP Compliance
Key results expected / Major functional activities
The JPO will be responsible for working with the Lead Technical Specialist in providing technical expertise on SECAP compliance at all stages of programme design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. S/He works collaboratively with the ECG and PMI thematic Technical Specialists, and other project staff to ensure compliance of SECAP with IFAD-supported projects and initiatives supported by the Global Environmental Facility and the Green Climate Fund. By the end of the assignment, s/he would have gained experience in strengthening risk management associated with IFAD projects to contribute to better impact and results on the ground and long-term development impact and sustainability. Summary of key functions:
- Work with the Lead Technical Specialist in overseeing the implementation of SECAP, including developing simplified guidance statements, systems, templates, information systems and tools and updating subsequent editions of SECAP
- advise IFAD staff, project teams and other stakeholders on SECAP application;
- ensure high quality environmental and social studies and services by reviewing draft terms of reference and reports;
- track and monitor compliance with SECAP requirements in IFAD operations; Improve knowledge management of IFAD's project lessons on the SECAP process with a view to aligning it with IFAD business processes; and
- Build and strengthen partnerships with the UN Environment Management Group on Safeguards and the Multi-lateral Financial Institutions on Environmental and Social Standards and other development partners.
- Support the lead/senior safeguard specialist(s) in providing advice on social safeguards, capacity-building of IFAD and project staff and ensuring that projects comply with SECAP;
- Support PDTs in ensuring that appropriate resources and capacity are deployed to effectively cover SECAP requirements in project design and implementation;
- Support the monitoring of compliance by IFAD projects with SECAP requirements during implementation;
- Track, identify and report on high-risk projects;
- Participate in updating SECAP and ensuring its alignment with the safeguards of key partners (GEF, GCF);
- Support the dissemination of SECAP awareness among IFAD and project staff, and support the preparation and delivery of SECAP capacity development programmes for consultants; and
- Contribute to advocacy and knowledge development activities and building awareness around environmental and social standards among staff.
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicators
Technical analysis and synthesis to include inputs to project methodology and design of projects, knowledge sharing among peers and counterparts to enhance cooperation, complementarity and synergy and monitoring and evaluation to measure and report on lessons learned and best practices. Typically operating as a technical analyst at the country or regional levels, work is typically is reviewed for achieving the established work plan. Thus the supports the Division's reputation for capacity and for programme delivery and enhances its recognition as a reliable development partner.
Representation / Work relationships
In the context of programme development and delivery, the JPO ensures the exchange of technical information as well as builds and maintains collaborative working relationships with counterparts and other partners to enhance consistency and reliability in the provision of development assistance to the government. In work relationships with counterparts s/he establishes and maintains relationships and projects the image of IFAD as a credible/reliable partner striving for harmonization of development activities.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Personal influence
- Demonstrating Leadership: Personal leadership and attitude to change
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating: Continuously seeks to learn, shares knowledge and innovates
- Focusing on clients: Focuses on clients
- Problem solving and decision making: Demonstrates sound problem solving and decision making ability
- Managing time, resources and information: Manages own time, information and resources effectively
- Team Work: Contributes effectively to the team
- Communicating and negotiating: Communicates effectively: creates understanding between self and others
- Building relationships and partnerships: Builds and maintains effective working relationships
- Research and analysis skills are desirable.
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets and reporting
- Good ICT skills, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Minimum recruitment qualifications
The successful candidate will hold a Master's degree or equivalent in anthropology, sociology, applied social science, environmental management or science or another related field.
S/he will have two years of relevant field experience working on ESS. Expertise in one or more of the following topics would be an asset: human rights, resettlement, climate change and labour issues. S/He will have outstanding interpersonal skills to effectively work with Project Delivery Teams and clients.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Working knowledge of another official language (French, or Spanish) is desirable.
Applicants should note that IFAD staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the President of IFAD, and they may be assigned by him/her to any of the activities of IFAD, including field assignments and/or rotation within IFAD.
In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful
Candidates may be required to take a written test and to deliver a presentation as well as participate in interviews.
*ThispostisopenedinthecontextoftheJuniorProfessionalOfficer(JPO)schemesponsoredbytheGovernment oftheNetherlandsandisaddressedexclusivelytoNATIONALSOFTHE NETHERLANDS.
For criteria see the website of Nedworc Foundation: http://www.nedworcfoundation.nl/Index.htm?hoofdpath=/NL/JPO/General%20Information.htm&hoofdhash
Please read the criteria and FAQ section carefully before considering applying.