Driver and Logistics Assistant (Spotlight Initiative)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Spotlight Programme is a joint initiative of the United Nations system and the European Union in partnership with the Government and civil society of Mozambique ?to contribute to the elimination of gender-based and sexual violence, harmful practices and obstacles to access to sexual and reproductive health rights. It will focus on consolidating gains by developing a more effective response to violence against women and girls and the promotion of sexual and reproductive health rights, through innovative approaches that strengthen an enabling legal and policy framework, effective and coordinated institutions, community mobilization and empowerment, increased and equitable access to holistic and integrated care services, access to and use of quality statistical data and strengthened and dynamic women's rights organizations.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the UN Women Country Programme team and other high-ranking UN officials in support of the SLI Project in Manica Province, Mozambique. The driver ensures the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The Driver may also be required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the office, consultants, experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide reliable and secure driving services
- Drive office vehicles for the transport of UN Women Country Programme SLI team, other high-ranking officials, visitors, UN Women programme and operations staff, and support VIP missions;
- eliver and collect mail, documents and other items to Government – Offices/Embassies/Commercial Establishments/ UN Offices;
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport and support visa and customs formalities arrangements when required;
- Verify that all passengers always wear seatbelts in the vehicle;
- versee and ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents;
- Oversee and ensure that all vehicles comply with the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
2. Proper use of vehicle
- Ensure cost-saving by driving responsibly;
- Maintain daily vehicle logs, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil change, servicing, greasing, repairs and oversee that other drives do the same;
- Prepare and maintain data of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3.Day to day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Ensure that all official vehicles are kept clean and is always in good working condition;
- Make minor repairs and make arrangements for major repairs;
- Change oil, check tires, lights horn, clutch and brakes and wash car regularly;
- Ensure that vehicles comply with Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
4.Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies
- Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
5.Provide general administrative and logistic support as needed
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining required records;
- Assist in the mailing and distribution of publications and payments of bills, as required.
- Liaise with Clearing and Forwarding Agents for clearance of official shipments while ensuring documentation for facilitation of such processes are in place;
- Assist in all areas of Fleet Management including vehicle registration, insurance, maintenance, security, usage monitoring, vehicle ownership transfers and disposal;
- Assist in managing the daily logistical issues of staff transport services, by working closely with HR and relevant service providers;
- Update staff on various emerging traffic issues in Mozambique;
- Follow up on Protocol matters for the organization and its eligible staff, including handing of visas, work permits and diplomatic identity cards;
- Submit applications and follow up with relevant Government Ministries for approval of exemption and regulatory documents, issuance of motor vehicle number plates and logbooks as necessary;
- Log official trips in the official log books.
Key Performance Indicators
- Quality and timely driving services; safe and on-time
- Quality care and maintenance of vehicle and necessary documents
- Timely inputs to logs and records
- Quality and time admin and logistics support to operation and programme
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent driving skills;
- Strong knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies and local roads and conditions;
- Strong defensive driving skills;
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs;
- Ability to be on time.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education;
- Valid driver’s license.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record.
- Fluency in English and Portuguese Language is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.