Base Logistics Officer
Goma (Congo Democratic) | Democratic Republic of Congo
Base Logistics Officer
Responsible for the daily running of all base facilities in Goma (main office and team accommodation houses) and the coordination of Medair’s Goma fleet and Flights bookings. Summarized the Goma Base Logistics Officer makes sure that the living- and work area including transportation within Goma will be arranged for all Goma staff and transit staff.
Emergency health projects targeting displaced, war affected and vulnerable populations in NE Congo. Developmental typed projects aimed at long term and sustainable behaviour change in general population and state health employees to improve public health outcomes.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possbile. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Base Logistics Management
- Manage the weekly petty cash to perform the weekly logistics payment.
- Ensure that proper documentation is collected and handed to Finance, regarding the weekly purchases.
- Focal point for all IRS in Goma, including visitors passing through.
- Manage the weekly accommodation and meal planner and work with the house staff, liaise with them regarding the fresh food budget.
- Manage and work with the base logistician the quarterly orders for dry food and cleaning products, track these expenditures in the base budget, ensuring spending is in accordance with requirements.
- Follow up on any maintenance to be carried out at the office or residence and work with the Base logistician. Overall management of the maintenance and quality control of any construction work on Medair premises in Goma.
- Overall management of the Goma base including contract management (rent, utilities, security).
- Focal point between programme and support departments. Attend and lead weekly support meetings and write the report. Attend programme meetings and write the report. Ensure that communication flows between both teams.
- Meet the logistics related administrative requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, contractors and any other stakeholders, so that the logistical aspects of Goma facilities function efficiently, effectively and with integrity.
- Provide information and support, as required, with any audits carried out in-country and at HQ.
- Develop and monitor the annual base budget with input from other support managers.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud within logistics. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
- Oversee the transport, ensure the fleet is running well and that flights are booked in time.
- Manage and oversee the base staff, including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Follow IRS movement in country and send out arrival information to all incoming staff.
- Hold regular team meetings with the direct reports base logistics staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of applicable activities and requirements.
- Maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders related to base management and security, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Ensure Goma facilities are secure and compliant with Medair DR Congo security requirements
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject as Logistics/Management/Business Administration or equivalent professional / technical qualification
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- Personnel / Project Management / Security management experience.
- 2 years’ experience working in a cross-cultural setting.
- Capacity to identify and address professional development needs in staff.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Problem solving ability. Attention to detail. Strong administrator.
- Good numerical and report writing skills.
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, team-player.