Research & Reporting Officer
The position will be based in UNDP Islamabad office and the incumbent will be responsible for providing technical support to the project activities and results outcome of the Building Disaster Resilience in Pakistan (BDRP) and DRR in Pakistan projects, i.e. formulating programme progress reports, case studies and success stories. The incumbent will also be responsible for development of reporting guidelines and reporting templates as per requirements of UNDP and the donor. He/She will also gather information from the relevant staekholders, followed by submission of finalized reports to the management & donors.
UNDP implements a joint programme with Food and Agriculture Organization and World Food Programme, a two-year initiative of Technical Support to Stakeholder’s Capacity Development for Effective Implementation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Risk Reduction Policy”. UNDP is involved in institutional strengthening at national, sub-national and local levels. The project will be implemented from 2018-2020 under the United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID/UK) UK funding, FAO as lead agency directly receives funds and distributes among other participating agencies through UN Agency to UN Agency Contribution Agreement. The project is the scale up of BDRP-I which was implemented from September 2016 to September 2018.
The UN consortium’s design of BDRP Phase II has been based on two key principles: a) replication and up scaling of evidence-based interventions, tools and methodologies to new program areas and b) design of interventions such that they get fully aligned with CBDRM consortium interventions at grass root level.
The overall programme aims to achieve the resilience outcome by capacitating new districts on generating the knowledge base for sectoral disaster risk reduction/management and CCA planning and policy making. In order to ensure that DRM mainstreaming is an integral part of development UNDP will extensively work with various tiers of disaster management authorities from federal to district level. Some of the notable activities of phase I have focused on the development & implememntation of National Action Plan for the SFDRR, district-level disaster information management system, Public Private Partnerships (PPP) on disaster mitigation measures, strengthening of District Emergency Operation Centers (DEOCs) and the formulation of the recovery need assessment strategies in collaboration with NDMA.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Integrate project reporting with UNDP CO web-based corporate tools.
- Contribute to the overall reporting by collecting information from the project team & implmenting partners and collating it in the form of reports on specific formats.
- Assist in developing work plans & monitoring plans for ensuring that activities/events are properly scheduled, carried out and reported as per the agreed timelines.
- Prepare consolidated progress reports for project management including identification of problems, causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation, and providing specific recommendations.
- Assist in evaluation missions, preparation of Terms of Reference, providing inputs in the reporting of different studies.
- Develop and maintain the project’s monitoring and evaluation plan, based on the project document log frames and indicators.
- Oversee and execute M&E activities included in the Annual Work Plan, with particular focus on results and impacts.
- Support documentation of project periodic reporting & assist in coordination with stakeholders and other implementing partners.
- Review the reports submitted by the implmenting partners, firms and consultants.
- Regular coordination with the team to obtain data for generating different kind of reports.
- Generate reports based on the results achieved against different level of indicators.
- Documentation of progress, lessons learnt, case studies & other communications items.
- Provide technical input on research and assessment works and conduct various types of research (quantitative and qualitative);
- Any other task assigned by the National Project Coordinator.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Good understanding and knowledge of DRR/ CCA;
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills;
- Ability to work under stress and to multi-task;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Excellent skills in report writing;
- Good physical health and the ability to travel to local areas with basic travel facilities;
- Positive attitude with a mind-set to deliver development services in a professional manner;
- Self-development and initiative taker;
- Managing conflict;
- Work experience with UN is preferred.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least 01 years of proven work experience in the related field (preferably in INGOs/UN).
- Knowledge of the development context in disaster risk reduction and climate change adapatation.
- Good knowledge of Research, development policy and outreach approaches.
- Ability to travel across Pakistan