Programme Associate (Refugee Operations),FT-G6, Addis Ababa (1)-Readvertised
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Job Title: Programme Associate (Refugee Operations) - Re-advertised
No. Position: 1 (One)
VA No.: 103471Contract Type: Fixed Term
Date of Issue: 01 February 2019 Grade: FT G6
Deadline: 15 February 2019 Duty Station: Addis Ababa (1)
Position Duration: One year with possibility of extension.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is United Nations frontline agency in the fight against hunger, WFP is continually responding to emergencies. We save lives by getting food to the hungry fast. But WFP also works to help prevent hunger in the future. We do this through programmes that use food as a means to build assets, spread knowledge and nurture stronger, more dynamic communities. This helps com- munities become more food secure. On average, WFP aims to bring food assistance to more than 80 million people in 80 countries.
WFP Ethiopia is working with the Government and humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
This job is found in WFP Ethiopia Country office based in Addis Ababa Country Office. Job holders typically report to a Programme Policy Officer or the designate.
At this level, job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis. Job holder is expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate support staff.
To provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
- Liaise with Government counterpart (ARRA), Partners (UNHCR) and cooperating partners (NGOs) as well as with Sub-Offices and field offices to receive updated beneficiary figure for each programme (General food distribution, targeted supplementary feeding, blanket supplementary feeding, school feeding programmes and closing balance)
- Oversee monthly FRN preparation and dispatch of all refugee programmes, general food distribution, nutrition and school feeding activities to all camps in the country timely and follow-up on any issues with Logistic focal persons and SOs to ensure delivery of food commodities to refugee camps
- Closely coordinate with Logistic unit ensuring dispatch is ongoing and there are no delays, pipeline procurement unit ensuring surplus/shortages and procurement if need be for the following months are reviewed
- Ensure compliance with COMET for all agreement/FRN/distribution report
- Coordinate with implementing partners and Sub Offices for Cooperating Partners Distribution Reports (CPDRs) and oversee the payment process based on CPDRs both ITSH & ODOC. Follow up with Finance and ensure timely payment
- Provide all requested statistical figures for the preparation of SPR, budget revisions as well as project documents
- Provide timely response to Government counterpart (ARRA), Partners (UNHCR) and cooperating partners (NGOs), Sub-Offices and field offices for issues related to allocation, distribution, payments, agreements
- Prepare budget, donor appeals, concept note
- Coordinate meetings with cooperating partners UNHCR, ARRA, WFP
- Perform any other duties related to coordination, planning, implementation and monitoring of refugee operation activities
- Support donor related activities (requests, visits, proposals and reports)
- Perform other duties as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has worked with technical teams (i.e. nutrition, VAM, etc.).
• Has contributed to implementation of programmes.
• Has observed or assisted with policy discussions.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Experience: At least six or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the related business stream with experience in programmes activities.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is an added advantage.
HOW TO APPLY
WFP is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply on-line through WFP recruitment website.
This VA is open ONLY to Ethiopian Nationals.
Public access: http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
WFP staff access: http://newgo.wfp.org/services/e-recruitment
Please note that WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
15 February 2019
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.