Background Information - Job-specific
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
- Plan, develop and manage all procurement-related aspects of solicitations for a range of goods and services, taking into account sustainability aspects, the local economic and other market or political conditions
- Conduct market research to keep abreast of market developments, researching and analysing data, evaluating and recommending potential supply sources
- Prepare and review technical specifications and/or terms of references for complex procurements, design cost estimations for the required goods/services, creation of technical and financial evaluations
- Formulate strategies and design innovative solutions to minimize and resolve issues/conflicts for complex procurement projects
- Lead negotiations with supplier representatives
- Develop and implement supplier relationship management/contract management plans as appropriate
Expertise and Advice
- Function as a subject matter expert in process and policy application in relation to procurement of general goods and services
- Prepare case presentations for review and recommendation by appropriate contract review body, act as a reviewer of procurement business cases prepared by other offices
- Regular reporting using procurement process monitoring systems and mechanisms
- Participation in delivery of procurement training programs
- Act as a procurement point of reference and guide other staff through the procurement process as necessary (other practitioners, evaluation committee members, clients etc.)
- In close cooperation with stakeholders, such as other UN agencies, donors, NGOs and other departments within UNOPS, prepare realistic procurement plans and appropriate procurement strategies
- Assist stakeholders with amendments, extensions, general contract administration and other procurement-related contractual issues throughout the life cycle of the contract
- Coach and mentor staff who may report to the Procurement Specialist
- Performing such other duties and responsibilities relevant to the functions of a Procurement Specialist
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Supply Chain / Procurement, Business/Commerce, Accounting/Finance, Law, Economics, or other related discipline is required.
- First level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in related field with additional 2 years of relevant working experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a procurement role is required.
- Demonstrated experience in a range of procurement activities such as process, policy, strategic sourcing, contract management, supplier relationship management.
- Demonstrated experience in communicating and advising across a range of audiences.
- Well-developed analytical thinking, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- Public Procurement expertise and/or working experience is an asset.
- Work experience in international organizations is an asset.
- Experience in UN system organizations preferably in a field office is desirable.
- Fluency in English required.
- Fluency in French required.
- Knowledge of Spanish is strongly desirable.
- Professional certification in procurement is desirable.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: I-ICA 2
Contract duration: Open-ended - subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.