Planning and Project Officer - Mexico City
Mexico City (Mexico)
On 10 October 2017, as a result of a long-standing partnership with International IDEA, the Government of Mexico signed a host-country agreement to establish a sub-regional office of International IDEA in Mexico City. The sub-regional office in Mexico started operations in 2018 and works on promoting, consolidating and advancing sustainable democracy and democratic electoral processes in Mexico and the Central America and the Caribbean region. Through this sub-regional office, International IDEA supports national capacities by providing training and assistance to institutions involved in the democratic process. It also provides a platform for knowledge exchange and discussion about key issues in strengthening democracy, such as electoral integrity and electoral justice. From 2019, the regional office implements projects both in Mexico, aimed at supporting electoral justice and local democracy and in Panama, for providing assistance for the may general election.
The Planning and Project Officer, under the supervision of the Head of Programme will coordinate and oversee the development and management of activities and projects, at both regional and national level.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the implementation of programme activities and the execution of the budget, working in close collaboration with the donor;
- Coordinates and provides direction to partners on aspects of programming, ensuring donor requirements are met;
- Designs and manages the monitoring, reporting and evaluation of programmes ensuring strategic and timely communication to the donor and to International IDEA Headquarters;
- Ensures implementation of projects in accordance with donor and International IDEA regulations;
- Identifies opportunities for innovative programme design and develops fundraising strategies, to strengthen International IDEA’s capacity to secure increasing amounts of restricted funds;
- Provides support in the design and launch of fundraising initiatives for projects in the democratic governance area;
- Supports the development and implementation of a Resource Mobilization strategy, and contributes to its periodic update;
- Supports the Head of Programme in the organization and execution of workshops, seminars and roundtables in Mexico and the Central American region;
- Develops and maintains a network of professional contacts with actors in relevant fields including policy makers and international organizations.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements and excellent skills including managerial skills;
- Plays a fundamental role in the design, development and implementation of projects;
- Will initiate contact with potential partners and donors for the development of international assistance projects;
- Is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Head of Programme Mexico
- Has in-depth knowledge in own discipline and good understanding of related disciplines to be able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has experience of international cooperation in the democratic governance field;
- Good knowledge of international development and the provision of technical assistance and capacity building to national and local partners;
- Has a good understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key regions where his/her work is implemented;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Excellent negotiations skills and advocacy;
- Experience and ability to liaise with Member States, Regional Organizations and other potential donors;
- Experience and ability to coordinate multi-dimensional projects;
- Ability to build and maintain broad networks of partners;
- Excellent communication, public presentation and speaking skills.
- Occasional supervision of permanent and temporary staff;
- May assume project management responsibilities;
- Acts as a model and resource for more junior colleagues including interns and research assistants.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems with no guidance; offers suggestions and strategies for troubleshooting and streamlining office and project management processes.
- Has a clear impact on initiation of programmes;
- Supervises and impacts programme monitoring and delivery.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Fluency in English and Spanish, written and oral, is essential. Knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Initiates and promotes dialogue with a range of stakeholders including member states, regional organization, partners and potential donors;
- Public Relations are an essential component of the work;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy and build consensus.
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
Education and Experience
- University degree in financial management, business management, social science, political science, international law, international development;
- 5 years relevant experience, including substantial work on international cooperation and development;
- Experience in areas related to project management in international co-operation projects;
- Experience in dealing with development assistance and partner/donor relations;
- Experience in partnership building with intergovernmental organizations, expert groups, the private sector, civil society and/or NGOs;
- Experience working in the field of democracy support with a range of partners in Latin America;
- Field experience is required.
Terms of Contract
- Local Post. Fixed Term Appointment until 30 September 2019.
Extension possible subject to available funding.
- Duty Station - Mexico City
- Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Mexico
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Send application Print