International Consultant, Phnom Penh, Cambodia Country Office
Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
Duty Station: Phnom-Penh
Closing date: 18 February 2019 (5 pm Phnom-Penh time)
Duration: 45 working days from 21 February 2019-30 April 2019
Stating date of Assignment: 21 February 2019
PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
Review existing data ecosystem with a view to establish and strengthen new CAMSTAT platform using .Stat Suite for SDG data reporting to avail SDGs-related data, address data gaps and facilitate monitoring and reporting on SDGs indicators
SUPERVISION AND WORKING ARRANGEMENT
The consultant will report to the Director General of the NIS/MoP and the UNFPA Representative and Deputy Representative, and will work closely with technical staff of these agencies.
SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant will perform the following indicative tasks, on a 45 paid working-day basis, within the below indicated timeframe and to achieve the desired deliverables:
- Review of Data Architecture & Workflows
- Review all existing national statistical frameworks and workflow of the National Statistical System (NSS).
- Develop Statistical Protocols (concepts, methodologies, tools, template of Data Sharing Agreement, classifications, maintenance of statistical registers, and guidelines for production, analysis, data exchange and dissemination including a release calendar, the scope of data to be exchanged, the format to be used, and metadata) with a view to standardization of national data to be used in new-SDG based CAMSTAT platform between agencies of Cambodia's NSS.
- Review Data Availability and Assess Statistical Capacities for SDGs Reporting
- Map data availability against all prioritized global and local SDGs indicators.
- Reassess the statistical capacity of the Cambodian Statistical System (CSS) to compile the global and localized SDG indicators
- Help Fully roll-out and operationalize CAMSTAT Platform and build capacities in that regard
- Strengthen capacity of key officials of NIS and line ministries to manage and use SDG-based CAMSTAT platform and associated guidance instruments
- Development of Statistical Protocols (Data Production and Dissemination Guidelines)
Development of Data User Guide (English and Khmer) for using new SDG-based CAMSTAT platform
MONITORING AND PROGRESS CONTROL
- Close consultation and interaction will UNFPA and NIS officials is needed throughout the consultancy assignment. Periodic progress reporting to UNFPA and NIS management teams is needed preferably on a weekly basis. Reporting to other key stakeholders including UN Country Team and donor platforms is also envisaged.
An end-of-consultancy report that outlines key progress, challenges including recommendations as way forward and lessons learnt is required to be submitted to UNFPA.
National Institute of Statistics, Ministry of Planning, Phnom Penh, Cambodia and UNFPA Cambodia. While field visits outside of Phnom Penh are not currently envisaged, if the need arises then that should be considered.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Advanced degree in IT, Information System/data infrastructure, Computer Science, Demography, Statistical Analysis, and social science or related field– PhD preferable or equivalent professional experience;
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrable experience with structuring indicator data including star and snowflake schemas and using international statistical standards such as SDMX.
- At least seven to ten years of experience in development or review of national statistical infrastructure including key software, technologies, data quality aspects
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in demography, statistics, social science or related field, especially in MDG monitoring platform and/or SDG monitoring platform is a great advantage
- Experience in providing on-the-job training to national staff in statistical data
- International expert/consultant
Fluency in oral and written English
SERVICES TO BE PROVIDED BY UNFPA
- The NIS/MOP will provide an appropriate work space with reliable internet connection and other administrative support to the consultant to perform the task during the assignment.
- Access to a work space with available facilities at UNFPA office is also possible if deemed necessary.
The consultant will use his/her personal laptop/computer.
Applicants with the required qualifications and experience should submit a written letter of application, a copy of curriculum vitae (CV), completed UN P11 form (http://cambodia.unfpa.org/en/vacancies/un-p11-personal-history-form) relevant education certificates and the names and contact information of three references.
Applications should be addressed to UNFPA Representative.
Attention: Operations Manager, Phnom Penh Center, North Building, 5th Floor Room 526, Sothearos Blvd. Sangkat Tonle Basac, Khan Chamkar Mon, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
For further details, please refer the attached detailed VAs and also at UNFPA website http://cambodia.unfpa.org/
Note: UNFPA regrets its inability to reply individually or to attend to telephone queries on the above advertised post. Only those candidates who meet all qualifications and experience will be contacted for further consideration.