Research Fellow_Fixed term
Delhi (United States of America)
POSITION: Research Fellow_Fixed term (IWWAGE)
EMPLOYER: IWWAGE at IFMR_LEAD
LOCATION: New Delhi
REPORTING TO: Principal Economist
ASSIGNMENT LENGTH: 2 years extendable by one year
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
IWWAGE or the Initiative for What Works to Advance Women and Girls in the Economy at IFMR_LEAD is a new evidence hub aimed at the synthesis and generation of evidence on “what works” for women’s economic empowerment. Despite making significant contributions to economies through various activities, women remain economically disadvantaged. Women remain disproportionally affected by poverty, discrimination and exploitation. Evidence suggests that investing in women’s economic empowerment has important linkages with gender, equality, poverty eradication and inclusive growth. Several efforts have been devoted to studying the issue of women economic empowerment, however, evidence remains fragmented and work done in silos. IWWAGE aims to work towards adding to the existing efforts.
We are actively seeking qualified, self-sufficient and thorough researchers, preferably trained in Economics/Development studies/Gender studies/Public Policy for carrying forward the research agenda of IWWAGE. The candidates are expected to have worked on labour markets in India and possess knowledge of current issues around women’s work in India, especially in areas of gender based inequalities in the labour market, women in informal labour markets, women’s collectives and entrepreneurship, women’s work in tertiary sector/agriculture/home-based work, as also in women’s unpaid work, issues around social protection of women workers. Specialisation in any one of these areas would be an added advantage.
The candidate should be experienced in using extensive research methodologies to perform detailed research and is expected to be able to conduct independent research to collect evidence on ‘what works’, be adept at using qualitative research techniques and to communicate research in the form of external and internal publications. Publications in peer-reviewed journals is a desirable qualification.
The research fellow should have excellent communication skills in order to be able to present her/his research to various stakeholders and in various national and international platforms. The researcher would be working closely with the IWWAGE research and policy advocacy team and assist Principal Economist in executing the core research deliverables, including managing existing project deliverables. The candidates should be willing to travel, whenever necessary.
- Assist in establishing the broader research agenda of IWWAGE
- Contribute to determine the research objectives for the short-term research programmes especially in any of the areas mentioned above
- Carry out independent in-house research projects
- Develop survey design, questionnaires, polls etc. specific to research requirements and test research methodologies to confirm intended purpose of evaluation for current research
- Oversee and monitor fieldwork, interviews, experiments, to gather evidence
- Contribute actively in managing project deadlines, maintaining timelines, reviewing outputs and coordinating with funders/research/academic partners.
- Manage and build capacity of the research assistants and young researchers/interns and fellows at IWWAGE
- Actively contribute in developing research opportunities
- Develop request for proposals for forging research partnerships
- Publish articles in peer reviewed national and international journals, opinion pieces for magazines and newspapers, blog pieces
- Develop policy briefs, factsheets and short research outputs for IWWAGE internal publications
- PhD in Economics/Development studies/Gender studies/Public Policy/related disciplines
- Advanced degree in Economics/Development studies/Gender studies/Public policy with a minimum of 6 years relevant experience in the subject
- Publications in peer-reviewed national and international journals
- In depth knowledge of social science research methods;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work in a team.
- Please submit an updated resume and a cover letter.
- Questions and application submission at: email@example.com
- Deadline: Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.