Community Policing Associate (SB3/2)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Community Policing Coordinator and Police Advisory Team in managing/monitoring/reporting project activities related to community policing in specified areas in Kabul;
- Work in close coordination with the community, especially women and youth, concerned Police personnel, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), social workers, NGOs and other partners to foster strong trust and partnerships;
- Encourage and facilitate active participation of women in community consultation councils and support coordination between Police-e-Mardumi (PeM) units and Family Response Units (FRUs) in Kabul;
- Assist in the organization of outreach activities in Kabul for targeted audience (especially women and youth) to enhance community participation and generate awareness amongst the public on security and related issues;
- Support related to the planning, facilitation, coordination and management of the project’s activities in Kabul using implementation plans as a guide to achievement of results;
- Ensure proper documentation and reporting of community’s security related concerns shared at the consultation meetings between police and communities and proper follow ups of decisions made;
- Assist the establishment, operations, coordination and expansion of the of PeM community police partnership councils, ensuring active women’s participation and build sustainability plans with local authorities under the approved PeM framework in Kabul;
- Assist in implementation of police perception and post intervention impact surveys;
- Provide day to day financial and administrative supports for payments of subcontracted consultancies;
- Assist in the development of training material, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), guidelines and Terms of Reference (ToRs) and provide administrative support, including organization of council meetings and other project events;
- Other related responsibilities as requested by the Project Manager and Community Policing Coordinator.
- Commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Ability to work with a wide cross-section of partners including Government, donors, I/NGOs and community-based organizations;
- Ability to effectively communicate intentions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders;
- Mature judgment combined with a proactive, resourceful and energetic approach to problem solving;
- Ability to manage day-to-day office activities (including but not limited to travel management, facilities and asset management, policy and procedures.
- Ability to advocate effectively;
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals to achieve common goals;
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Demonstrates excellent ability to write and communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism;
- Ability to conceptualize issues and analyse data;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; and strong organizational and time management skills.
- Focuses on results for clients by providing information, being accessible, understanding need and giving them due priority;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Analyses problems carefully and logically, leading to fact-based and practical recommendations;
- Willingness to undertake regular field visits and interact with different stakeholders, especially with primary stakeholders.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge;
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches;
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing;
- Develops awareness of the various internal/external learning and knowledge-sharing resources.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University in the area of police studies, political/social science, law, humanities or related field;
- Degree in Law will be an asset.
- 5 years of relevant working experience in community engagement and development work;
- Experience in working with international agencies, NGOs, local Government in post conflict scenarios involving community participation will be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office incl. Word, Excel, etc) as well as experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Afghan languages (Dari and/or Pashtu) is required;
- Good reporting and writing skills.
Important applicant information
This is a project position.
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. Female candidate is preferred for this position. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.